12.0275 editing medieval texts

Wed, 28 Oct 1998 19:46:04 +0000 (GMT)

Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 18:30:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: cbf@socrates.berkeley.edu
Subject: Computer Editing of Medieval Texts (fwd)

A colleague forwarded the following to me from MEDTEXTL. It is a
profoundly disturbing comment on the state of the art. Scholars who come
into editing from the perspective of their discipline have no idea how to
get started. One of the most useful things that we could do would be to
set up a site where "best practices" are set forth with guidance on
appropriate software packages.

Then the next problem is how to make it findable by those in the beginning
stages of electronic editorial projects.

BTW, if anyone has any practical solutions to the problems adumbrated
below, I will be glad to pass them on.

Charles Faulhaber Department of Spanish UC Berkeley, CA 94720-2590
(510) 642-3781 FAX (510) 642-7589 cbf@socrates.berkeley.edu