12.0257 music retrieval

Wed, 14 Oct 1998 18:47:58 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Virginia Danielson <gdaniels@rism.harvard.edu> (14)
Subject: music retrieval

[2] From: Dana Beth <Dana-Beth@library.wustl.edu> (24)
Subject: Re: Fwd: Music Retrieval Tools

Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 17:13:31 +0100 (BST)
From: Virginia Danielson <gdaniels@rism.harvard.edu>

anecdotal evidence for the lack of music data retrieval tools, but know of
no authoritative statement of the problem.

I am not completely sure what the inquirer means by "music data" or what
kinds of "music" he wants data about. (An obvious problem in the
construction of search tools is the breadth of the subject and the
disparate nature of the resources: are scores what is wanted? audio
files? information about musics? and so forth.) It might help to know
more specifically what the desideratum is.

Indiana University has a good online set of references for music
information (about which you probably know). I suspect, however, that
even this site is more limited in scope than is wanted.

Virginia Danielson
Acting Music Librarian
Harvard University