12.0215 e-zine opinions? short-cuts?

Tue, 22 Sep 1998 21:26:27 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: "Sue King-Smith." <asphodel@iaccess.com.au> (63)
Subject: RE: Magazines that talk

[2] From: Ted Knab <teddy969@hotmail.com> (7)
Subject: Humanities and Computing: Research Short Cuts?

Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 16:54:54 +1000
From: "Sue King-Smith." <asphodel@iaccess.com.au>

Dear Humanist list members
[Please do not send replies to this e-mail to the entire list]

I wonder if Humanist discussion members would take time out to answer a few
questions about arts/cultural/literary 'CD-Rom' magazines. As you probably
all know the publishing of ordinary literary magazines is often a recipe
for personal poverty and many come and go on the international literary
scene like shooting stars ... to try and avoid this unfortunate personal
outcome (poverty!) in the area of publishing electronic magazines editors
of various online journals (and hardcopy arts magazines) are currently
trying to ascertain the likelihood of dare I say it 'economic success' in
the electronic magazine area.

I personally co-edit an online Australian ezine 'The Animist'
[http://www.diskotech.com.au/asphodel which features various of the new
media formats. Before we invest money in bringing out a CD-Rom version (on
subscription) we are trying to gauge the current attitudes toward this new
arts/cultural media. We'll be sharing these findings generally with
Australian arts funding bodies in particular (but also with a large number
of international ezine editors) and all replies will be treated with the
strictest confidentiality. I want to make it clear that we are not
constructing a mailing list, we are simply trying to work out whether
artists, academics, intellectuals etc. are positive or negative about the
possibilities of the new media.

The questions are listed below. General comments are also welcome if you
feel you don't have much time. If you think your comments may be of
interest to the entire list feel free to post generally otherwise, could
your direct answers straight to us at asphodel@iaccess.com.au so as to not
clog up the line You are also free to ignore any questions you wish - we're
mainly looking to gauge the overall attitude to the new technologies.

1) How do you feel about/view the literary/arts possibilities represented
by the new multimedia technologies? [Especially in relation to normal
printed magazines/books etc.]

2) Do you currently subscribe to any electronic arts/cultural journals
(downloaded from the web or made available on CD-Rom or disc)?

3) What kind of features do you look for in purchasing these journals? [Do
you enjoy innovative Multi Media literary/arts pieces, audio presentations
(audio interviews), video, socio/cultural animations, 3d art galleries,
music etc. or do you prefer straight text with little else]

4) What problems have you encountered in purchasing/subscribing to
electronic arts magazines (CD-Rom, Disc etc) ?

5) What do you think is a reasonable price for an electronic arts magazine
on CD-Rom which features both conventionjal text/pictures and various
multimedia works which cannot be replicated by magazines (paper) or online?

6) Could you see yourself subscribing to such magazines if they became
generally available? [Do you have a general like or dislike of the medium
as a whole?

7) Do you make use of 'internet shopping' to pay for your international
subscriptions, or do you prefer the more established methods of payment?

8) Are you interested in the new 'literary and discursive forms' currently
being born in the multimedia field? [Any philosophical comments about these
new forms will be particularly useful]?

Thank you for your time! As I said above PLEASE send your replies to our
e-mail address asphodel@iaccess.com.au ... we don't want to clog up the
Humanist list with replies.

Best wishes
Ian Irvine
Co-editor
The Animist
Electronic Journal fo the Arts
[The Animist is archived by the Australian National Library Canberra and
the Australian Cultural Network as a site of National Cultural
significance]