12.0172 survey on conceptual navigation

Sun, 23 Aug 1998 08:31:56 +0100 (BST)

Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 10:53:11 -0500
From: David Green <david@ninch.org>
Subject: Fwd: _Brave New Word: Navigating Meaning in Digital
Collections_

NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
AUGUST 20, 1998

ASSISTANCE NEEDED WITH SURVEY OF USE OF THESAURI
AND OTHER SYSTEMS OF MANAGING CONCEPTUAL NAVIGATION ON WEB

A request from Gerry McKiernan for information from those working on
applying thesauri or other methods of managing conceptual navigation on the
Internet:

David Green

===========
>Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 14:09:38 -0500
>From: Gerry Mckiernan <GMCKIERN@GWGATE.LIB.IASTATE.EDU>
>>To: DIGLIB@INFOSERV.NLC-BNC.CA
>
> _Brave New Word:
> Navigating Meaning in Digital Collections_
>
> For a survey article I am currently preparing,
>I would great appreciate learning of current efforts that
>are investigating the application of thesauri or like systems of
>Managed Conceptual Navigation for enhanced access
>to Web/Net resources.
>
> I am interested in services that have applied
>controlled vocabulary in an indexing/cataloging process
>for Web collection such as the Scout Report Signpost
>(http://www.signpost.org/) or OMNI (http://omni.ac.uk/umls/)
>as well as Web-accessible commercial databases that employ
>versatile vocabulary access and manipulation
>(e.g., NISC [http://wwww.nisc.com]).
>
> I am greatly interested in alternative
>presentation of thesauri (e.g., Xia Lin's
>SiteMap SOM application to INSPEC descriptors
>[http://lislin.gws.uky.edu/Sitemap/Sitemap.html]
>or the visual thesaurus of Plumb Design
>[http://www.plumbdesign.com].
>
> I am most particularly interested in learning about the
>availability of key reports and most importantly, copies of
>papers prepared or in preparation for the forthcoming ISKO
>and ASIS conferences that relate to Thesauri.
>
> As always, Any Contributions, Comments, Queries, Critiques,
>or Questions, etc. are Most Welcome!
>
>Gerry McKiernan
>Curator, CyberStacks(sm)
>and
>Theoretical Librarian
>Iowa State University
>Ames IA 50011
>
>gerrymck@iastate.edu
>http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/
>
> "The Best Way to Predict the Future is to Invent It! / Alan Kay

>Sun Microsystems will have a booth at the International Federation
>of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA) Conference in Amsterdam,
>August 16-19. In addition, some of Sun's library partners will also be
>exhibiting: ExLibris, Endeavor, Sirsi, VTLS, OVID, GEAC, Pica,
>SilverPlatter, etc.
>
>Sun is sponsoring the Internet Cafe. IFLA attendees can use Sun's Network
>Computers (JavaStations) to access the Internet.
>
>Sun is hosting a reception in our booth August 17, 16.30 - 17.30 hrs.

David L. Green
Executive Director
NATIONAL INITIATIVE FOR A NETWORKED CULTURAL HERITAGE
21 Dupont Circle, NW
Washington DC 20036
www-ninch.cni.org
david@ninch.org
202/296-5346 202/872-0886 fax

See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at
<http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>.

Humanist Discussion Group