12.0165 conferences & calls

Fri, 7 Aug 1998 00:13:28 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: David Green <david@ninch.org> (79)
Subject: Call for Panelists on Intellectual Property Issues
(fwd)

[2] From: David Green <david@ninch.org> (184)
Subject: Conference: CONVERGENCE IN THE DIGITAL AGE: CHALLENGES
FOR LIBRARIES, MUSEUMS & ARCHIVES

[3] From: David Green <david@ninch.org> (94)
Subject: Workshop: Visual Representations & Interpretations
<fwd>

[4] From: David Green <david@ninch.org> (49)
Subject: CONFERENCE REMINDERS

Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 13:59:41 -0500
From: David Green <david@ninch.org>
Subject: Call for Panelists on Intellectual Property Issues (fwd)

NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
August 5, 1998

Call for Panelists on Intellectual Property Issues
October 24-25, 1998: Seattle Bookfest

>Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 09:24:27 -0700
>From: Joan Johnson <jjohnson@SPL.LIB.WA.US>
>>To: DIGLIB@INFOSERV.NLC-BNC.CA
>
>***************************BROADCAST MESSAGE****************************
>
>I am a member of the New Media committee for Seattle's Fourth Annual
>Northwest Bookfest, scheduled for October 24th, and 25th, 1998.
>May I invite your participation or suggestions of potential panelists?
>
>I am working to compose a panel of speakers that will discuss Intellectual
>Property: how it is defined, regulated, protected, and not protected within
>the context of the on-line world. Other discussion points would include
>new legislation attempts, application of copyright laws to on-line
>material, key
>players in developing standards, current protocol, and examples of recent
>or on-going cases.
>
>The panel would be moderated and would consist of three or four speakers.
>Ideally, there will be representation from the legal profession and
>publishing industry, as well as an author and an advocate on either side of
>the debate on issues surrounding Intellectual Property as it is applied to
>electronic formats.
>
>Northwest Bookfest, a nonprofit organization, produces an annual literary
>celebration. Now in its fourth year, we are anticipating 25,000
>attendees. It is free to the public and raises tens of thousands of
>dollars for literacy organizations each year from thousands of donors.
>
>We are not able to offer stipends or reimburse speakers for travel or
>hotel expenses, but we are able to promote and sell the latest publication
>that one might have.
>
>If you are interested in participating as a panelist for this topic,
>please contact me via e-mail or phone at your earliest convenience.
>We will want to know your credentials and evidence of your authority on
>the subject (publications, articles, previous speaking engagements, etc.)
>
>Fact sheets on the Festival are readily available and can be mailed upon
>request.
>
>Thank you,
>Joan Johnson, Library Instruction
>Seattle Public Library
>Northwest Bookfest Volunteer, New Media Committee
>(206) 386-4105
>jjohnson@spl.lib.wa..us

>DIGLIB is a public service provided by IFLA (http://www.ifla.org) and
>sponsor, Sun Microsystems Inc.: "The Network is the Computer".
>
>Sun has three new PDF case studies available on its Education website;
>http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/edu/success/segment_list.html
>
>- Stanford HighWire Press' use of Java to publish STM journals on the Web
>- JSTOR's development of an electronic journal archive and access system
>- Pennsylvania's Keystone Project for statewide academic library resource
> sharing

David L. Green
Executive Director
NATIONAL INITIATIVE FOR A NETWORKED CULTURAL HERITAGE
21 Dupont Circle, NW
Washington DC 20036
www-ninch.cni.org
david@ninch.org
202/296-5346 202/872-0886 fax

See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at
<http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>.