12.0089 chair in AI

Fri, 19 Jun 1998 21:12:35 +0100 (BST)

Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 09:37:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu>
Subject: Chair in AI, University of Sheffield

>> From: Y.Wilks@dcs.shef.ac.uk (Yorick Wilks)

Dear Colleague:
Usual apologies for any duplicates of this. Below is an
advertisement that just appeared for a Chair which we hope to fill with a
candidate in AI, broadly interpreted. I am writing to ask if you
would pass this message on to anyone good who is seeking such a Chair.
Experience in other places seems to have shown that one gets a better
field of AI candidates by explicitly mentioning it, rather than assuming
it is covered by a catch-all title of Computer Science; logically, it is
covered, but not psychologically for many people.

Sheffield is a good Department to be in right now, increasing in size,
resources and research quality, and it is a good city to live in too. UK
Vice-chancellors (i.e. Presidents or Rectors) are now much more flexible
when making such appointments, in terms of salary, pensions and equipment,
and
it is expected that a lecturer (Asst. Professor) appointment would
come with this Chair. I would be happy to talk informally with
anyone interested.
Best wishes
#Yorick Wilkks

The University of Sheffield
Department of Computer Science

CHAIR IN ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE OR SOFTWARE ENGINEERING

Applications are invited for a Chair in Artificial Intelligence
or Software Engineering. This provides an exciting opportunity
to join a Department with an internationally recognised reputation
in both teaching and research.

Further information about the Department can be obtained from
it's Web pages, URL: http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/

Informal enquiries can be made to the Head of Department,
Professor Colin Smythe, Tel: 0114 222 1801, Fax: 0114 278 0972,
Email: c.smythe@dcs.shef.ac.uk

Closing date for applications:
17 July 1998. (Ref: R1480)

Further particulars from the Personnel Department,
The University of Sheffield, Western Bank, Sheffield,
S10 2TN, Tel: 0114 222 1631 (24hr)
or Email: jobs@sheffield.ac.uk
Web Site at: http://www/shef.ac.uk/jobs/

Humanist Discussion Group