11.0729 technology of spamming

Tue, 5 May 1998 16:45:58 +0100 (BST)

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 08:51:48 +0100
From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk>
Subject: what we're up against

Dear Colleagues:

The following will give you some idea of the efforts being expended to reach
you with adverts.

WM

>Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 08:42:48 +0100 (BST)
>From: rzz@rzz.sigov.si
>To: rzz@rzz.sigov.si
>Comments: Authenticated Sender is <user122@cybaker.net>
>

>IT WAS JUST RELEASED!!
>
>INTRODUCING...MILLIONS VOL. 1A
>
>We took a total of over 92 million email addresses from many of the
>touted CD's that are out there (bought them all - some were $300+)!
>We added the millions we had in storage to those. When we
>combined them all, we had in excess of 100+ million addresses
>in one huge file.
>
>We then ran a super "sort/de-dupe" program against this huge list.
>It cut the file down to less than 25 million!!! Can you believe that? It
>seems that most people that are selling CD's are duping the public
>by putting numerous files of addresses in the CD over and over. This
>created many duplicate addresses. They also had many program
> "generated" email addresses like Compuserve, MCI, ANON's, etc.
>This causes a tremendous amount of undeliverables, and for those
>that use Stealth programs, clogs up servers quickly with trash, etc.
>
>We then ran a program that contained 1800+ keywords to remove
>addresses with vulgarity, profanity, sex-related names, postmaster,
> webmaster, flamer, abuse, spam, etc., etc. Also eliminated all .edu,
>.mil, .org, .gov, etc. After that list was run against the remaining list,
>it reduced it down to near 10 million addresses!
>
>So, you see, our list will save people hundreds of dollars buying all
>others that are out there on CD and otherwise. Using ours will be like
> using the 100+ million that we started with, but a lot less money and
>alot less time!!
>
>We also purchased Cyber-Promos ($995.00) CD. We received it just
>prior to finishing production work on the new CD. We had our people
>take a random sample of 300,000 addresses from the touted 2.9 that
>they advertised. We used a program that allows us to take a random
>sample of addresses from any list. We were able to have the program
>take every 9th address, thus giving us a 300,000 list of Cyber's email
>addresses from top to bottom. We cleaned these, and came up with about
>100,000 addresses. These are also mixed in.
>
>We also included a 6+ million "Remove/Flamer" file broke into seperate
>files for ease of extracting and adding to your own database of removes.
>
> "You can buy from the REST or you can buy from the BEST. Your choice.
>_____________________________
>
>What others are saying:
>
>"I received the CD on Friday evening. Like a kid with a new toy, I
>immediately started bulking out using the new email addresses. Over
>the course of the weekend, I emailed out over 500,000 emails and I
>received less than TWENTY undeliverables!! I am totally satisfied
>with my purchase!! Thanks Premier!!"
>
>Dave Buckley
>Houston, TX
>
>"This list is worth it's weight in gold!! I sent out 100,000 emails for my
> [...]
Dr. Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer, King's College London
voice: +44 (0)171 873 2784 fax: +44 (0)171 873 5801
e-mail: Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk
<http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/>

Humanist Discussion Group