11.0710 old IBM statement?

Mon, 27 Apr 1998 22:14:27 +0100 (BST)

Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 14:29:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu>
Subject: Old IBM statement

>> From: "Iain D. Brown" <i_brown@compuserve.com>

This is a long shot, but I'm constantly surprised by the abstruse knowledge
displayed by HUMANIST contributors, so here goes.

A book I've been editing contained a parenthetical question by the author
to himself, reading "(time to quote the old IBM statement?)". Naturally, I
queried this, and the author replied:

"I was going to quote the statement made in the 50's by IBM
about the total needs of the world in terms of computing
capacity, but i don't have the actual quote - it you can find
it, it would be good to use."

So - does anyone have details of the original quotation, or know where I
might be able to find it?

Many thanks,

Iain Brown
i_brown@compuserve.com
(on behalf of a non-HUMANIST subscriber)

Humanist Discussion Group