11.0705 DVD

Tue, 21 Apr 1998 21:42:42 +0100 (BST)

Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 22:54:33 -0300
From: Dennis Cintra Leite <Dennis@eaesp.fgvsp.br>
Subject: RE: 11.0624 Requests for help/info

Taking advantage of a free Sunday evening to bring up to date my
Humanist reading I came across the inquiry below. Since it seems to have
drawn no answers and apologizing for the untimely response, Ill try for
a dimensional approximation:

1. DVDs, in their first incarnation, have about 4 gigabytes of
storage capacity.
2. Each second of mid-fi speech (better than telephone but worse
than FM radio ~ 5k audio channel) will demand 10k storage
capacity.
3. 4,000,000,000/10,000 = 400,000 seconds = 6,666 minutes or ~ 111
hours of speech.
4. Double sided DVDs (8 gigabytes) would give us 222 hours.
5. Double layered double sided (16 gigabytes) would finally give us
444 hours of non stop speech.

Hope I answered your question.