11.0693 on screen, on page

Thu, 16 Apr 1998 20:53:25 +0100 (BST)

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 13:32:15 -0500 (EST)
From: Dorothy Day <day@indiana.edu>
Subject: Re: 11.0689 print vs. online? scholarly edns?

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Humanist Discussion Group wrote:

> Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 11, No. 689.
> Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 18:07:07 -0400
> From: Ari Kambouris <aristotl@interport.net>
> >
> I would appreciate any assistance that any of you might be able to provide
> on finding studies and other resources which have assessed the differences
> between reading on a computer screen and reading from hard copy. I am
> specifically interested in retention rates, attention spans, and the
> ergonomics particular to each type of activity.

Andrew Dillon's *Designing usable electronic text: ergonomic aspects of
human information usage* (London; Bristol, PA: Taylor & Francis, 1994)
has a useful discussion and many relevant citations to other materials
on the subject.

*****
Dorothy Day
Indiana University
day@indiana.edu
*****
"He also surfs who only sits and waits."

Humanist Discussion Group