11.0641 Re: Where does it go? Where has it gone?

Sat, 14 Mar 1998 19:07:34 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: "Malcolm Hayward, English, IUP, Indiana PA 15705" (15)
Subject: Re: 11.0636 Re: Where does it go? Where has it gone?

[2] From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu> (36)
Subject: Re: 11.0634 Where does it go? Where has it gone?

Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 08:18:51 -0500 (EST)
From: "Malcolm Hayward, English, IUP, Indiana PA 15705"

I think Christoph Eyrich has it just right. The upgrades
are forced on us not by features but by the need to have
all the various systems compatible. But his response and
that of Patricia Galloway suggest an alternative to Jim
Marchand's global upgrading: archiving in ASCII--a step up
from paper copies for re-scanning, but still always readable.
Well, I guess this is part of the TEI plan. But I had not
considered adopting it for my own files.

And an aside on the subject, since most upgrades affect merely
the formatting of documents (new fonts, etc.) I have a certain
nostalgia for typing in <unl -5> at the beginning of a paragraph
and knowing that a tab will appear in the printing, in the
same way that first writing html texts allowed you to imagine
what would appear on the screen. There was a kind of pleasure
in that ...

Malcolm Hayward