11.0513 new on WWW

Thu, 15 Jan 1998 22:02:50 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: Chris Powell <sooty@umich.edu> (55)
Subject: New additions to the American Verse Project

[2] From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu> (7)
Subject: Word Translator

[3] From: David Green <david@ninch.org> (22)
Subject: THE FCC, INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDERS, AND ACCESS
CHARGES

[4] From: David Green <david@ninch.org> (33)
Subject: Good Copyright Article

Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 14:06:02 -0500 (EST)
From: Chris Powell <sooty@umich.edu>

The Humanities Text Initiative at the University of Michigan is pleased to
announce the addition of 35 new texts to the American Verse Project. Works
by little-known women and African-American authors not contained in other
electronic text collections have been added, as have works by well-known
authors such as Emily Dickinson.

The American Verse Project is a collaborative project between the University
of Michigan Humanities Text Initiative (HTI) and the University of Michigan
Press. The project is assembling an electronic archive of volumes of American
poetry prior to 1920. The full text of each volume of poetry is being
converted into digital form and coded in Standard Generalized Mark-up
Language (SGML) using the TEI Guidelines. The texts are searchable and
can be viewed in HTML as well as SGML.

The American Verse Project is located at

http://www.hti.umich.edu/english/amverse/

A complete list of added texts follows:

American Female Poets
Anthology of magazine verse for 1920 and year book of american poetry / edited by William Stanley Braithwaite
Anti-slavery poems : songs of labor and reform / by John Greenleaf Whittier
April airs : a book of New England lyrics / Bliss Carman
Ballads : patriotic & romantic / by Clinton Scollard
Ballads and lyrics / by Bliss Carman
Candle and the flame : poems / by George Sylvester Viereck
Complete poetical works of John Hay / [by John Hay] ; with an introd. by Clarence L. Hay
Cup of comus : fact and fancy / by Madison Cawein
Downing legends : stories in rhyme / J. W. DeForest
Earth deities and other rhythmic masques / by Bliss Carman and Mary Perry King
Echoes from Vagabondia / Bliss Carman
Farm ballads / by Will Carleton
Farm festivals / by Will Carleton
Idyl of the South / Albery A. Whitman
Illustrated poems / by L. H. Sigourney ; with designs by Felix O.C. Darley
Lays for the sabbath : a collection of religious poetry / compiled by Emily Taylor ; revised, with additions, by John Pierpont
Lyric bough / Clinton Scollard
Lyrics of joy / by Frank Dempster Sherman
New pastoral / by Thomas Buchanan Read
Ode on the sailing of our troops for France / by John Jay Chapman
Passing show : five modern plays in verse / by Harriet Monroe
Poems (Series 2) / by Emily Dickinson
Poems (Series 3) / by Emily Dickinson
Poems / by Madison Cawein ; with a foreward by William Dean Howells
Poems and sonnets of Louise Chandler Moulton / [by Louise Chandler Moulton]
Poems of Emma Lazarus. Vol. 2, Jewish poems : translations
Poems of Emma Lazarus. Vol. I, narrative, lyric and dramatic
Poems, 1899-1902 / George Cabot Lodge
Pro patria : verses chiefly patriotic / Clinton Scollard
Rape of Florida / by Albery A. Whitman
Southern flight / Frank Dempster Sherman, Clinton Scollard
Verse / Adelaide Crapsey
Voice on the wind and other poems / by Madison Cawein
Wild cherry / by Lizette Woodworth Reese

Christina Powell
Coordinator, Humanities Text Intiative
University of Michigan
http://www.hti.umich.edu/