11.0483 the future; XML

Wed, 24 Dec 1997 14:29:05 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: David Green <david@ninch.org> (38)
Subject: "Into the Future" screens on PBS in January

[2] From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> (13)
Subject: XML

Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 17:06:30 -0500
From: David Green <david@ninch.org>

NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
December 23, 1997

SAVE THE DATE: JAN 13, 1998

"INTO THE FUTURE:
ON THE PRESERVATION OF KNOWLEDGE IN THE ELECTRONIC AGE"
<http://www.pbs.org/whatson/1998/01/descriptions/INFU.html>

Terry Sanders' film will be shown nationally on PBS at 10pm on Tuesday Jan.
13 (but check local listings).

A sequel to Sanders' award-winning "Slow Fires: On the Preservation of the
Human Record," "Into the Future" was produced by the American Film
Foundation in association with the Commission on Preservation and Access
and the American Council of Learned Societies.

"This program confronts the hidden crisis of the digital information age --
will the human record, as it is increasingly stored in fragile and complex
digital forms, survive into the future? Will people have access to current
electronically-recorded knowledge and history of our time 20, 50 or 100
years from today? The program provides examples of the impending crisis and
features insights from articulate shapers and philosophers of the
Information Age. The special is narrated by Robert MacNeil."--PBS program
notes

A review of the film by Paul Wallich in the January 1998 issue of
Scientific American, "Preserving the Word," is available at
<http://www.sciam.com/0198issue/0198review2.html>.

"Into the Future" can be ordered from The American Film Foundation as a
one-hour or 30-minute VHS tape; contact: 310/459-2116.

David L. Green
Executive Director
NATIONAL INITIATIVE FOR A NETWORKED CULTURAL HERITAGE
21 Dupont Circle, NW
Washington DC 20036
www-ninch.cni.org
david@ninch.org
202/296-5346 202/872-0886 fax

Subscribe to the NINCH-ANNOUNCE public listserv for news on
networking cultural heritage. Send message "Subscribe NINCH-Announce
Your Name" to <listproc@cni.org>.