11.0435 Millennium Logo competition

Tue, 2 Dec 1997 08:05:05 +0000 (GMT)

Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 15:03:54 -0500
From: David Green <david@ninch.org>
Subject: The White House & NEA Announce a Millennium Logo Competition

NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
December 1, 1997

The White House and the National Endowment for the Arts Announce a
Millennium Logo Competition

November 26, 1997

Washington, DC -- The White House Millennium Office and the National
Endowment for the Arts today announced a competition for a Millennium
Graphics Design Package. The winning graphic design will be used by the
White House and the Executive Branch of the government as a symbol for
official millennial projects over the next three years. The contest is open
to all American citizens or permanent residents of the United States.
Entries may come directly from individuals or through graphic design firms.

The White House Millennium Program is a multi-year initiative to mark the
end of the 20th century and the beginning of the new millennium. The Program
will celebrate achievement, recognize and initiate projects, and engage
every sector of society in conveying our rich heritage to future
generations. The President and First Lady have invited all Americans to take
part in the program by "giving gifts to the future -- gifts that will help
rekindle our spirit of democracy, renew our commitment to citizenship, and
unleash the full creative and intellectual potential of the American people
as we chart our common future." The White House Millennium Program prepares
for the new century by "honoring the past and imagining the future." It will
highlight projects that recognize the creativity and inventiveness of the
American people, and focus on culture, scholarship and scientific
exploration. The winning Graphics Design package should reflect and embody
this spirit. The winning design will be unveiled in January, 1998 in the
White House as part of an event that highlights American creativity.

The year 2000 coincides with some of the federal government's most important
milestones -- the 200th anniversary of presidents occupying the White House,
the 200th anniversary of the first meeting of Congress in the Capitol, and
the 200th anniversary of the Library of Congress. The Logo may be used for
these celebrations and should allow for specific language and design to be
added to the base package to specifically commemorate these anniversaries.

The National Endowment for the Arts will manage the initial phase of the
design competition with the final selection to be made by a panel of
professional designers.

The winning designer will receive a professional fee to create the final
design and a graphic standards manual for using the symbol on stationery,
signage, and other iterations.

Entries should be sent to:

MILLENNIUM LOGO
NATIONAL ENDOWMENT FOR THE ARTS
ROOM 523
1100 PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE, NW
WASHINGTON, DC 20506-0001

Logo entries must be ink on paper, mounted on presentation board measuring
9" X 12" and no thicker than 1/16". Mounted on the back of the board should
be a sealed envelope containing the designer's name, address, telephone
number, and e-mail address. Individuals and design firms may submit one
entry only.

Acceptance of the commission for final design constitutes a release to the
government of all rights to the design.

Entries must be postmarked by December 30, 1997. The winning designer will
be chosen early in 1998. Entries will not be returned.

Additional information about the White House Millennium Program may be found
on the World Wide Web at
http://www.whitehouse.gov/Initiatives/Millennium/index.html.

Go to http://arts.endow.gov to find additional information about the
National Endowment for the Arts.