11.0429 toys & non-trivial pursuits

Sat, 29 Nov 1997 07:27:55 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: Chris Floyd <cfloyd@carmen.murdoch.edu.au> (40)
Subject: Toy promotion

[2] From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> (46)
Subject: constraints

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 09:03:48 +0800
From: Chris Floyd <cfloyd@carmen.murdoch.edu.au>

Willard,

When I first scanned your "the trivial and the arcane" post, I picked up a
few key words including: toy; promotion; reading; paper; and tube, so put
that together to think about how I felt about all the must-have crappy toys
flogged in glossy brochures shoved into snail boxes, etc. The conservation
value in not producing all this ephemeral junk that litters $2 shopfront
has to be healthy, though it might need a mathematician figure it out. But,
of course your post was about something else; the promotion of computer
knowledge tools. But the paradigm is similar, where on the one hand the
consideration is of the conservation of material resources, and on the
other intellectual priorities.

Entrepreneurial wisdom is, it's good to make a buck whatever, and look at
the success of the Asian economy because of precisely this kind of
enterprise. Well, actually the Asian economy is looking a bit rough this
morning, with its pollution and dodgy currencies. A lot of this cheap
merchandise circulates money and keeps people in work, even if the more
durable, sensible products are preferable. The same applies in computer
software, where the annual upgrades of packages does not reflect a quantum
leap in development. In other words, the busy work does not add up to much
action.

The material versus intellectual opposition is perennial, as per the
contrast between the waste of physical resources and mind work. Now I am
not an economist, but my impression is that this collective busy work is to
keep people straight, or at least heading in the right direction around the
threadmill. Otherwise, they might think too hard or something.

A model that has been hanging around in such as Douglas Adams and Deep
Blue, is of a godhead computer that will somehow solve all the world ills
if it gets the right parameters. A "humanities computing" approach might be
to match computer grunt with a humanist symbolic system. My poser is, why
can't we design a better economic system from first humanist principles not
market mystification? I admit this is naive. That economics is as "real" as
say Freud's "unconscious".

Chris.

Dr Chris Floyd
Phone: +61 8 9339 0490