11.0405 announcements

Sun, 16 Nov 1997 20:52:35 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> (124)
Subject: SPARC

[2] From: David Green <david@ninch.org> (35)
Subject: Symposium: University Libraries and Museums in the
Digital Marketplace

[3] From: Heyward Ehrlich <ehrlich@andromeda.rutgers.edu> (39)
Subject: New NEACH Series Nov 21

[4] From: Thierry van Steenberghe <t_vs@compuserve.com> (83)
Subject: Announcement - Please post

Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 00:02:22 +0000
From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk>

>From: IN%"patricia@arl.org" "Patricia Brennan" 31-OCT-1997 10:10:52.83
>To: IN%"arl-announce@arl.org" "Multiple recipients of list"
>CC:
>Subj: ARL Announces: SPARC
>
> October 30, 1997
>
> ARL Promotes Competition in Scholarly Publishing
>
> Washington, D.C. -- Responding to the steadily increasing costs of
>library materials acquired from large commercial publishers and the impact
>of these price increases on the scholarly process, the Board of Directors
>of the Association of Research Libraries approved last week the formation
>of the Scholarly Publishing & Academic Resources Coalition (SPARC).
>SPARC, whose mission is to be a catalyst for change through the creation
>of a more competitive marketplace for research information, will promote
>academic values of access to information for research and teaching and
>encourage innovative uses of technology to improve scholarly
>communication.
>
> SPARC will operate as a project of the ARL Office of Scholarly
>Communication and will seek partnerships with member libraries and
>institutions, scholarly societies, university presses, and other
>organizations, including publishers, that share a common set of academic
>values and are interested in developing new strategies for controlling
>costs and improving access to research information.
>
> For over a decade, the academic library community has monitored
>the spiraling costs of academic research information while implementing a
>number of strategies to contain costs and ensure access to these expensive
>resources. Statistics published annually by ARL highlight the problem.
>
>* Since 1986, the unit cost of serials has increased by 147% and that of
> monographs by 63%.
>
>* Since 1986, the number of monographs purchased by ARL libraries declined
> by 21%.
>
>* In 1986, the typical ARL library subscribed to 16,198 serial titles,
> purchased 33,210 monographs to serve 16,684 students and 1,125 faculty.
>
>* In 1996, the typical ARL library subscribed to 15,069 serial titles,
> purchased 26,262 monographs to serve 18,269 students and 1,254 faculty.
>
>* Despite canceling hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of serials,
> research libraries are spending 124% more on serials to acquire 7% fewer
> titles.
>
> Libraries have used a number of strategies--canceling titles,
>decreasing the purchase of monographs, sharing resources, and collective
>purchasing--in an effort to balance their budgets and extend their
>purchasing power. These strategies, however, have not been effective in
>lowering the overall costs of resources. Likewise, these strategies have
>not fundamentally changed the publishing environment. Increasingly,
>library and academic administrators have come to realize that the impact
>of the spiraling costs cannot be solved by strategies that libraries
> [...]
Dr. Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer, King's College London
voice: +44 (0)171 873 2784 fax: +44 (0)171 873 5801
e-mail: Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk
<http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/>

Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 14:53:43 -0500
From: David Green <david@ninch.org>
Subject: Symposium: University Libraries and Museums in the Digital Marketplace

NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
November 14, 1997

UNIVERSITY LIBRARIES & MUSEUMS IN THE DIGITAL MARKETPLACE
Yale Center for British Art, Lecture Hall
Friday, November 21, 1997
1:00-5:00pm

The Digital Media Center for the Arts at Yale will host its first annual
symposium on Friday, November 21, 1997. Devoted to the theme "University
Libraries and Museums in the Digital Marketplace," the symposium will
address the opportunities and challenges posed by the emerging digital
marketplace to research universities with distinguished library and museum
collections. Questions to be addressed will include:
* How can the mission of a research university be most fully realized in
the digital arena?
* What does this new arena mean for the university's traditional mission
of collecting, teaching, learning, and discovery?
* What challenges and opportunities does this new arena pose in the realms
of intellectual property, copyright and distance learning?

The first half of the symposium will be devoted to these themes, with the
second half providing an overview of emerging digital marketplace models.

Speakers will include:
* Charles Altschul, noted lecturer and consultant on multimedia technology
and the arts,
* Susan Ball, Executive Director of the College Art Association
* Michael Ester, President of Luna Imaging, Inc., and
* Geoffrey Samuels, founder of the Museum Licensing Collective.

A round table discussion will conclude the symposium, and a reception will
follow. Participants will include Scott Bennett (University Librarian), Dan
Updegrove (Director of Information Technology Services), and Richard Benson
(Dean of the School of Art), as well as the speakers.

This event is sponsored by the new Digital Media Center for the Arts, an
interdisciplinary site for learning, teaching and expression in the arts,
with support from the following programs: the Yale Center for British Art,
the Yale University Art Gallery, the Yale Schools of Art, Architecture,
Drama, and Music, the Yale University Library, and Yale Information
Technology Services. It is part of the ongoing ITS Lecture Series.