11.392 Humanities Computing Course

Mon, 10 Nov 1997 13:31:57 +0000 (GMT)

Date: Sun, 9 Nov 1997 06:33:58 -0600 (CST)
From: Eric Johnson <johnsone@jupiter.dsu.edu>
Subject: Humanities Computing Course

In answer to a question by Peter Liddell, I have taught (and will again
teach in the summer of 1998) CHUM 650, Computing for the Humanities.
Information about the course can be found on the Web at

http://www.dsu.edu/~johnsone/chum.html

and an article I wrote about teaching the course is online at

http://www.dsu.edu/~johnsone/webprof.html

Students access a series of Web pages, read assigned articles, and
download software and data files. They then complete assignments and send
their observations to the instructor via email. Although it is a graduate
course, some undergraduate students have enrolled in CHUM 650.

I am a Ph.D. in English who enjoys writing computer programs. CHUM 650 is
taught in the College of Liberal Arts. In theory, any course at Dakota
State University can be challenged for credit, but the nature of CHUM 650
is such that students earn credit by working with unique programs that
would not be available to them if they were not enrolled in the course.

I would appreciate any comments about my course and about my article, and
I will attempt to answer any questions. -- Eric

--Eric Johnson
johnsone@jupiter.dsu.edu
http://www.dsu.edu/~johnsone/

Humanist Discussion Group