11.0356 accented characters and ISO-8859-1

Wed, 22 Oct 1997 08:05:03 +0100 (BST)

Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 08:02:46 +0100
From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk>
Subject: accented characters and ISO-8859-1

It is the year 1997 in common reckoning, and yet we still have grief over
the display of accented characters, even for French. Oi veh! This is a
request for advice on the matter, provoked by a message you would already
have received were it not for your editor's worries. Perhaps you can put
these to rest.

Simply I need to know what happens when you receive a message through
Humanist encoded in the ISO-8859-1 standard. I'm told that those who can
read the (natural) language of the message and care to do so will already
have their e-mail programs properly set, and that anyone who does not have
his or her program configured for ISO-8859-1 can safely be ignored, since he
or she clearly won't care about the contents. Is that true?

As a test, this message will be followed by two others, the second a
stripped-down (one might say "humiliated") version of the first, which is in
the ISO encoding. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEM WITH THE FIRST VERSION,
please simply read and enjoy it, and delete the second. If you do experience
some distress with the ISO'd message, let me know (via
willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk) what happens. Wisdom of experience from those
with it will be most welcome.

Yours (in ignorance),
WM
Dr. Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer, King's College London
voice: +44 (0)171 873 2784 fax: +44 (0)171 873 5801
e-mail: Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk
<http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/>

Humanist Discussion Group