11.0327 altered vistas & eroded feet of clay

Tue, 7 Oct 1997 20:41:25 +0100 (BST)

Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 10:27:11 -0400
From: mgk3k@faraday.clas.virginia.edu
Subject: altered vistas

I came across a short note from Willard on the AHDS server explaining why he
prefers search engines like Alta Vista to manually maintained links on
gateway pages (like Alan Liu's Voice of the Shuttle): largely because the
overhead on gateway pages is simply too high for them to be reliable or
current. I pointed out in a return message that the large search engines are
not nearly as current or comprehensive as we tend to think, and Willard
asked that I post to Humanist. Here's the message that first alerted me to
this problem, from Phil Agre's inimitable Red Rock Eater list:

>Flawed AltaVista Internet Search Engine
>
>[It seems to me that the whole keyword-based search engine paradigm on the
>Web collapsed back in the fall sometime. At least that's when I stopped
>being able to find anything on the Web using Lycos, Alta Vista, etc unless
>I had an obviously unique set of words to search on, if then. Now that
>the Web has outgrown indexing and search methods that librarians rejected
>decades ago, maybe it will come time to get some serious ideas about the
>subject. We may even have to listen to the librarians' opinions. Now,
>some people are out there trying to catalog the Web using library cataloging
>principles. But (as the librarians well know) that doesn't work because
>URL's are too impermanent; I've given up trying to cooperate with people who
>think they're cataloging Web-based periodicals such as The Network Observer.
>We need some different metaphors for cataloging and for the Web. Once we
>get over this IPO-driven mania about "push" technology, maybe we can get
>back to business and rethink what it means to order information in a totally
>decentralized environment.]
>

>This message was forwarded through the Red Rock Eater News Service (RRE).
>Send any replies to the original author, listed in the From: field below.
>You are welcome to send the message along to others but please do not use
>the "redirect" command. For information on RRE, including instructions
>for (un)subscribing, send an empty message to rre-help@weber.ucsd.edu
>

>Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 08:20:28 -0500
>From: John Pike <johnpike@fas.org>
>To: pagre@weber.ucsd.edu
>>
>"As web-surfing enthusiasts already know, AltaVista is a program
>that will search the entire Web..." was the way Amy Schwartz
>introduced a review of the new book "The AltaVista Search
>Revolution" on the oped page of the Washington Post ["The
>Information Laundromat" 22 March 1997].
>http://discuss.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/WPlate/1997-03/22/015L-032297-idx.h
>tml
>
>While AltaVista is indeed an estimable implementation, most
>web.surfers will be astonished to learn that, contrary to this
>conventional wisdom, AltaVista indexes only a small, flawed,
>arbitrary and not even random sample of what is on the web today.
>
>Estimates of the total content of the web are of necessity
>speculative, but run as high as 150 million pages. AltaVista
>claims < http://altavista.digital.com/ > to be "the largest Web
>index: 31 million pages found on 476,000 servers." So where are
>the missing pages ?? [or as Ronald Reagan asked "where is
>the rest of me??].
>
>There are many reasons a web page might not show up in the
>AltaVista index. Some parts of some sites are hidden from public
>view with the Robots Exclusion Protocol, which tells search
>engines not to index certain pages. Other types of content, such
>as the Adobe Portable Document Format [PDF] do not currently
> [...]

This went out last March, and in my experience Alta Vista is still at least
six months behind the curve. There are some fascinating issues here,
obviously of relevance to many of us. Anyone have an update?

--Matt
Matthew G. Kirschenbaum University of Virginia
mgk3k@virginia.edu or mattk@virginia.edu Department of English
http://www.iath.virginia.edu/~mgk3k/ The Blake Archive | IATH

Humanist Discussion Group