11.0321 systemics of computing

Mon, 6 Oct 1997 08:03:21 +0100 (BST)

Date: Sat, 04 Oct 1997 08:50:36 +0100
From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk>
Subject: items from a Microsoft Colloquium

Allow me to direct your attention especially to the first item here, an
online essay by James Ellsworth (U.S. Army) on the systemic effects of
introducing computing technology into higher education. The issue of
system-wide consequences, or what one might call the ecology of computing,
seems to me one of the most important questions for people like us to
address. I would be grateful for any pointers to further work on the topic.

Yours,
WM

>From: The Microsoft Technology Colloquium
> <TheMicrosoftTechnologyColloquium_000349@Newswire.Microsoft.com>
>To: "'willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk'" <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
>>Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 13:12:21 -0700
>
>October 1997
>
>Dear Reader,
>
>Welcome to October's issue of the Technology Colloquium! Our Commentary
>this month features a reprint from our March issue. Jim Ptaszynski
>discusses the slowness to integrate technology into the fabric of higher
>education. By asking three simple questions, he quickly demonstrates the
>level of commitment - or lack thereof - that an institution has to the
>use of technology. Dr. Ptaszynski believes that it's time we focused on
>some of the success stories of commitment to technology in the academy
>and using those successes as beacons for others to follow.
>
>--------------------
>
>In this month's Vision, James Ellsworth takes a critical look at
>systemic change as a model for incorporating technology into higher
>education. His call to "Go forth and be systemic" is supported by a
>compelling argument in favor of revisioning the way that educational
>institutions approach the introduction of new tools into the classroom
>environment and into their overall structure.
>http://www.microsoft.com/education/hed/vision.htm
>
>Case Studies focuses on Dr. Phyllis Oakes's personal experience in
>teaching a child education course at Morehead State University using
>distance learning and a number of different electronic media. This
>article breaks down the course into its constituent parts, analyzing the
>strengths and weaknesses of each of the tools that were used.
>Furthermore, Dr. Oakes incorporates the response of the students to
>these new technologies into her conclusions about the success of the
>Project.
>http://www.microsoft.com/education/hed/action.htm
>
>This Month's Featured Product column focuses on the efforts of Randall
>MacDonald and Elizabeth Simmons Watson, librarians at Florida Southern
>College, to create and teach a freshman seminar which serves as an
>introduction to the wealth of technological resources available at that
>institution. Their article discusses their experience with presentation
>software (PowerPoint), e-mail and Internet software and HTML development
>tools.
>http://www.microsoft.com/education/hed/products.htm
>
>October's Site of the Month is the Critical Comparisons of American
>Colleges and Universities created by Memex Press as an alternative to
>the mass-market "Best of..." guides to higher education. Using a host of
>unbiased sources to create their reports on hundreds of institutions,
>this site redefines the concept of college rankings and provides an
>invaluable service to all levels of prospective students in higher
>education.
>http://www.microsoft.com/education/hed/site.htm

> [...]
Dr. Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer, King's College London
voice: +44 (0)171 873 2784 fax: +44 (0)171 873 5801
e-mail: Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk
<http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/>

Humanist Discussion Group