11.0230 hand-held scanners? Mac display software?

Wed, 13 Aug 1997 21:27:56 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: luigi monga <monga@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu> (22)
Subject: hand-held scanners and the libraries

[2] From: "Paul [not \"Brian\"] Brians" (13)
<brians@mail.wsu.edu>
Subject: Display software for the Mac?

Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 06:11:32 -0500
From: luigi monga <monga@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu>

Dear Friends,
Since some of the European libraries where I am doing my research don't
offer microfilming services, I am considering using a hand-held optical
scanner (of the small and non-obtrusive persuasion) to obtain an image of
the page (manuscript or book). I am told that a high-density diskette
would hold about twenty images, and this is quite satisfactory. I have,
however, a couple of questions. The first, obviously, is the legality (or
"permissibility") of such an operation: does anyone know what is the common
practice re: scanners in European and US libraries? Are they allowed, and
if so, under what circumstances? The second question is the quality of the
image obtained (I'd be happy with a good black and white one). My third
question could be what kind, brand name, etc. of scanner to buy...
Thanks for any help and suggestions!
Luigi Monga
Luigi Monga
Professor of French and Italian
Box 1660 Station B 1903 Linden Avenue
Vanderbilt University Nashville, TN 37212
Nashville, TN 37235 tel. 615-292-5887
tel. 615-322-6900
fax: 615-343-6909