Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 11, No. 218

Wed, 6 Aug 1997 22:08:45 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Han Baltussen <Han.Baltussen@phil.ruu.nl> (15)
Subject: WInGreek Conversion

[2] From: Jim Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> (20)
Subject: metaphors

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 11:56:33 +0200
From: Han Baltussen <Han.Baltussen@phil.ruu.nl>

I would be grateful if anyone knows a solution for a conversion of WinGreek
(MS DOS) to Apple; a colleague of mine has found that the ASCII table in
128 and up dooes not work.

yrs
Han Baltussen

-------------------------
Dr. Han Baltussen

To be reached until sept. 3, 1997 at:

Dept. of Philosophy
Utrecht University
P.O. Box 80.126
3508 TC Utrecht
The Netherlands
-------------------------
Phone :++ 31 - 30 - 253 43 60
Fax : ++ 31 - 30 - 253 28 16

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 97 09:01:14 CST
From: Jim Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>

From: "Jim Marchand" <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>

Back to metaphors. As in the case of everything else, there is inflation
here, too. Roy Tennant in the latest issue of Current Cites briefly reviews
David Shank's recent book, Data Smog (San Francisco: HarperEdge, 1997). I am
waiting for Information Slime, Information Sludge, Information Murk. We all
know we are awash in a sea of information, against which we need to take
arms.

BTW, someone wrote asking for information on the article by Heinz von
Foerster, mentioned earlier. It is: "Thoughts and Notes on Cognition," in
Paul L. Garvin, ed., _Cognition: A Multiple View_ (NY: Spartan Books, 1970),
25-48. Though he is against others making up terms, his own, "pathological
semantics", is perhaps apropos at times. His remarks on p. 30 on
information storage and retrieval fit well today. I do not believe we can do
anything at all about "pathological semantics"; people will continue to
anthropomorphize and deify the computer: "The computer has shown that St.
Paul did / did not write x" has been with us for a long time. I saw a
computer that translated "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak" from
Russian as "the booze is good, but the meat has gone bad." The anecdotes of
yesteryear are ever with us.
!
Jim Marchand.

Humanist Discussion Group