11.0195 either/or

Tue, 29 Jul 1997 21:31:45 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Marta Steele <Marta_Steele@Pupress.Princeton.Edu> (28)
Subject: either/or

[2] From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> (37)
Subject: usefulness of either/or

[3] From: A. David Wunsch <wunscha@woods.uml.edu>
Subject: ambiguity

Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 16:50:31 EST
From: Marta Steele <Marta_Steele@Pupress.Princeton.Edu>

Willard,

To trace some origins of this opposition (not THE origins, I'm sure),
Kierkegaard titled what he considered to be the beginning of his
authorship as _Either/Or_. The first volume, the writings of a young
man, include _The Seducer's Diary_, which my employers (Princeton
University Press) are bringing out as a separate volume forwarded by
John Updike quite soon (n.b.: disappointingly, there is no actual
seduction involved; SK "dumped" his fiancee/ in a panic over his
intellectual future); in the second volume, Judge William writes the
older friend's "or": the first volume collects the esthetic view of
life, the second the ethical. I don't mean to sound too much like a
jacket flap (from which I am quoting and paraphrasing), but the point
is that SK leaves the resolution to his reader.

until part iii, which appears in _Stages on
Life's Way_: the third "existence-sphere" is the religious.

This just to provide some background. I will not speculate on the
nihilistic postscript he never did publish: _Neither/Nor_.

Marta Steele

PS: re my employers, the usual disclaimer: my opinions etc. bear no
reflection on any attitudes or policies of PUPress.

PPS: Volume 1 of _E/O_ actually gives some further background to the
expression: the Latin aut/aut was used by Frederik Christian Sibbern
in his review of Heiberg's _Perseus_ journal, in a discussion of the
principle of contradiction: Mynster also used the phrase in his
discussion of contradiction, in opposition to Hegel et al. (this,
from p. x of the intro. to vol. I of _E/O_).

So here are "official" contexts. One can joke that the Latin
coordinating conjunctions existed far earlier as nothing more than
that.