11.018 Hypercard and the Web

Sat, 26 Jul 1997 16:31:21 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Leo Robert Klein <kleinl@is2.nyu.edu> (21)
Subject: Re: 11.0183 Hypercard and the Web

[2] From: "Craig A. Berry" <craig-berry@nwu.edu> (18)

[3] From: Ken Tompkins <ktomkin@earthlink.net> (17)
Subject: Toolbook Assistant

Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 18:26:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: Leo Robert Klein <kleinl@is2.nyu.edu>

On Thu, 24 Jul 1997, Humanist Discussion Group wrote:

> Has anyone thought through how to use the Web to do Hypercard/Toolbook-like
> things, with Javascript perhaps, to approximately the same degree of
> difficulty for the person who constructs them? I'm thinking of students who
> could handle Hypercard but might have difficulty writing the Javascript
> themselves, so would need some canned bits to plug into their pages.

I'm not quite sure how Javascript would work but recently in a discussion
on multimedia applications I heard that "Lingo" (the script used for
Director/Shockwave interactive applications) is based on Hypercard.
Having used Lingo myself, I can vouch for the fact that it is not really
that difficult--on the order of learning how to write macros for MS Excel.
And if the Hypercard heritage is true, it might be rather familiar to your
students.

LEO

Leo Robert Klein 70 Washington Square South
Reference Associate New York, NY. 10012
General & Humanities Reference Tel.: (212) 998-2500
Elmer Holmes Bobst Library Fax: (212) 995-4383
New York University Email: kleinl@is2.nyu.edu