11.0161 WWW specs?

Thu, 10 Jul 1997 23:42:11 +0100 (BST)

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:48:09 -0400
From: Mick Doherty <doherm@rpi.edu>
Subject: Web Specs?

Humanist colleagues,

My supervisor has asked me to start collecting ideas for and
authoring a draft of what he is calling "Internet Guidelines"
for the CVB here. Some of the kinds of things he is looking
for are (his specific examples):

*The first screen of a site or subsite should take no longer
than X seconds to load given Y speed modem

*No single node in the website should scroll any more than
X screens given Y monitor size and standard default settings
in Z browser ...

Etc.

I fully realize that these kinds of specs are hard to come
by given the lack of control authors have over the user-end
interface and/or difficulties with distributed publication.
I am *not* asking you to (necessarily) debate the actual
specs, or the widsdom of collecting them. I am wondering if
you know of any place(s) that have made avaialble these kinds
of specs, or guidelines thereof.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Mick Doherty
Internet Editor