11.0159 WordCruncher; ELRA; Heinz E-Library

Thu, 10 Jul 1997 23:41:01 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: "James W. Johnston" <johnston@wordcruncher.com> (51)
Subject: WordCruncher for Windows Beta Software

[2] From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@parallel.park.uga.edu> (26)
Subject: ELRA Price Cut

[3] From: David Green <david@cni.org> (26)
Subject: Heinz Electronic Library Interactive Online System

Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 14:01:30 -0600
From: "James W. Johnston" <johnston@wordcruncher.com>

WordCruncher has at times "lurked," at other times merely been "sighted,"
and has occasionally even played a "leading role" on the Humanities
Computing stage. We are pleased to announce that WordCruncher has new life.

WordCruncher Publishing Technologies, Inc. was formed in late 1996. Many
list members know that WordCruncher for Windows, developed on the Brigham
Young University campus, has been subject to the infirmities that academic
software is occasionally heir to. We are working to change all that, and on
May 1, 1997, moved the WordCruncher development team under a new roof. Our
objectives include:

1) Industrializing the software -- can it become the "Son of TACT,
Daughter of OCP" that Willard has mentioned? We think so, and perhaps even
more.

2) Create an Internet-accessible library, http://www.wordcruncher.com,
that is chock full of WordCruncher-compatible books. We now have
approximately 500-600 titles and are adding 50 to 100 new ones per week.
NOTE: We asked list members for feedback on an earlier version of the
Library. Based on your wise advice, counsel and criticism, it has been
changed and we hope improved. Many thanks! Please feel free to make more
suggestions.

3) Create a publishing/distribution/sales model that makes it attractive
for others to create WordCruncher-compatible books and distribute them via
the i-Library, CD-ROM or other venues.

We invite interested Humanists to participate in WordCruncher's beta
testing program. If you have an application that you would like to try
out with WordCruncher, and are willing to provide us with feedback,
insight, suggestions (for applications, improvements, etc.), constructive
criticism, etc., please send an e-mail to beta@wordcruncher.com and tell
us a little about you and your application ... we'll send you the ftp site
address, a password and username, instructions, etc.

By the way, the "View" element of this beta version can now search not only
a local WordCruncher text, but also an Internet-based WordCruncher Library
-- we have a few texts up for on-line searching, and will be adding our
entire collection by the end of July.

Please let me know if I can provide further information.

Many thanks.

Best,

James Johnston
WordCruncher Publishing Technologies, Inc.
johnston@wordcruncher.com
http://www.wordcruncher.com

Nothing would be done at all,
If a man waited to do it so well,