11.0151 scanning microfilm

Sat, 5 Jul 1997 15:14:42 +0100 (BST)

Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 12:52:27 +0100 (BST)
From: orlandi@rmcisadu.let.uniroma1.it
Subject: Re: microfilm scanning

Those still interested in the possibility to scan (and
recognize) texts directly from microfilm, may like to
know that here at CISADU we have experimented with good
success the following procedure:

scan microfilm with Nikon Coolscan II [attention, not
a transparency adaptor, but a scanner in full capacity]
produce a *.tif file
pass the *.tif file to a good OCR. For modern-ish books
[Crompton-Roberts] we find "optopus" very good.

The equipment costs about US$ 20.000.000, including software
(optopus is very expensive), so much less than that used
in the Danish State Archives [Marker].

Cordiali saluti!

Tito Orlandi orlandi@rmcisadu.let.uniroma1.it
CISADU - Fac. di Lettere Tel. 39.6.4991-3936
P.zale Aldo Moro, 5 Fax 39.6.4991-3945
00185 Roma http://rmcisadu.let.uniroma1.it/~orlandi