11.0137 rationality, computing and desire

Wed, 25 Jun 1997 19:52:55 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: BRUNI <jbrun@eagle.cc.ukans.edu> (21)
Subject: Re: 11.0123 present & future of computing

[2] From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@parallel.park.uga.edu> (27)
Subject: Digital and rational

[3] From: Charles Ess <DRU001D@VMA.SMSU.EDU> (17)
Subject: Re: 11.0124 lurkers, battle cries, and poetry

Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 13:27:39 -0500 (CDT)
From: BRUNI <jbrun@eagle.cc.ukans.edu>

On Sun, 22 Jun 1997, Humanist Discussion Group wrote:

> If the development of human mentality in essence involves, as some have
> argued, the externalization of mind through our creations and inventions,
> then is the computer a materialization of our desire to be rational? Are we
> in effect giving ourselves the means to be rational? Is this a good thing?

One could certainly argue that computers are rational systems. But, then
again, what does rationality, divested from imagination lead to? As
Martin E. Rosenberg states, to be rational (in the abstract sense) can
lead to a world view where only facts and figures count: "a...construct
that disguises the nature of human awareness in order for it better to
plot industrial schedules, the trajectories of cannonballs, the
circumnavigation of the globe."

I would hope that we use computers in more imaginative ways, for example,
to create imaginative texts that can articulate how we perceive the
increasing complexity of the world. Of course, rationality fits here as
well. But let us not make it the entire picture.

John Bruni
English Dept
University of Kansas