11.0108 writing (? bad), theory, computers

Fri, 13 Jun 1997 20:21:33 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: BRUNI <jbrun@eagle.cc.ukans.edu> (27)
Subject: theory, writing, and computers

[2] From: omar <drummojg@jmu.edu> (17)
Subject: humor (was Re: 11.0099 bad writing)

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 12:40:50 -0500 (CDT)
From: BRUNI <jbrun@eagle.cc.ukans.edu>

> Does applied computing offer a
> way out of the current mental labyrinth (if you think it so) into a
> confrontation with the data? Do we, then, have something rather important
> to offer in this regard?

WM

In response, I would say that theory tends to be confrontational, for it
allows us to critique how data is disseminated and interpreted. This is
especially true of Donna Haraway's work, as well as other scholars who
interrogate scientific theory.

Theory also critiques writing itself as a system of signification and
communication. An example I would offer here would be the work of Jacques
Derrida. Of course when writing is used to critique writing, problems do
result in readability. It is not that anyone should have the license to
write badly. It is instead that theory often reminds us, whether we would
like to admit this, of the difficulty of critically separating any topic
or research area from another. Theory breaks down the idea of neat,
organized categories or borders.

Computers also reflect this idea of connectivity. And this is where I see
the value of merging computers and theory. We now have a chance to test
out theory, to see how theory performs in a different space other than
print. The results should be interesting.

John Bruni
English Department
University of Kansas