11.0099 bad writing

Fri, 13 Jun 1997 09:46:20 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: "Gary W. Shawver" <gshawver@chass.utoronto.ca> (8)
Subject: Re: 11.0092 bad writing

[2] From: Jeff Finlay <FINLAYJI@guvax.acc.georgetown.edu> (27)
Subject: bad writing

[3] From: "Paul [not \"Brian\"] Brians" (20)
<brians@mail.wsu.edu>
Subject: Bad scholarly writing

[4] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
Subject: computing and the theoretical?

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 09:29:33 +0000
From: "Gary W. Shawver" <gshawver@chass.utoronto.ca>

> that the philosophical parameters of "bad" be extended beyond mere
> examples of syntax being unable to convey abstruse theoretical
> meanings to writing that is based upon a specious premise, writing
> that is overtly agenda-driven, or, as in the case of my Nazi analogy
> above, so emotive as to stimulate the reader's defenses rather than
> sense of reasoning ....

These qualities were present in the contest winners. I'm not sure they
were the primary criteria.

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 11:49:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jeff Finlay <FINLAYJI@guvax.acc.georgetown.edu>

> In fact, when I saw the "Bad Writing Contest," I immediately thought of
> Noble. For example:
>
> "This attack on the necessity for critical
> distance, this declension from the pragmatic
> realism of the founding fathers, this repudia-
> tion of the need for the reconciliation of
> differences and compromise then became institu-
> tionalized in the business community as the cult
> of the self-made man." (Page 107)

I don't get it. What's complex or bad about this? Anyone who knows
how to parse will see it as a kind of sentence more usually found
in oratory: this thing, apposite of this thing, apposite of this
thing then leads to this thing. Actually, though I haven't read
the rest of the book, this one sentence seems beautiful to me.
Perhaps that is what you mean by taking stuff out of context.
As a matter of interest, I found your message rather hard to read,
though it was probably not badly written.

> P.S. Out of curiosity, I ran this letter through the MS Word grammar
> program. According to MS Word, the averaged readinglevel/grade index of
> the above email is 10.1. Mea culpa--I should have said "anyone with a
> _tenth_ grade education should be able to get the gist of this..."

Well, anyone who gets a machine to judge their work is in really bad
shape 8-)

Jeff