11.0038 new CNI Director; Irish texts

Fri, 16 May 1997 19:42:11 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: David Green <david@cni.org> (80)
Subject: CNI's New Executive Director

[2] From: Irish Corpus of Electronic Texts (24)
<celt@eolas.ucc.ie>
Subject: Irish Electronic Texts on the Internet

Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 16:09:26 +0100 (BST)
From: David Green <david@cni.org>

NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
May 15, 1997

I am delighted to be able to forward this announcement of the appointment
of Cliff Lynch as the new executive director of CNI. I am very much looking
forward to working closely with him.

David Green

Forwarded from cni-announce

CNI APPOINTS CLIFFORD LYNCH AS NEW EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

CNI announced today that Clifford A. Lynch will become the
Coalition's new Executive Director beginning in July 1997. Lynch, who is
currently the Director of Library Automation at the University of California
Office of the President, succeeds Paul Evan Peters, CNI's founder and
Executive Director, who died suddenly in November 1996.

"Cliff is uniquely gifted to lead the Coalition," said Duane Webster,
Executive Director of the Association of Research Libraries. "His intimate
and long-standing relationship with CNI provides the background to help
us all move the Coalition smoothly into the new environment we face."

Robert C. Heterick, Jr., Educom President concurred, "Cliff Lynch is
well known to, and much respected by, many members of the Educom
community. His scholarly research in the general subject area of networked
information is truly remarkable and often quoted." Heterick added, "His
leadership of the Melvyl effort at the University of California was
groundbreaking for scholars not only at the University of California but
all across this nation and the world. I couldn't be more pleased to find
that he has accepted our challenge to provide leadership for the very
important work of the Coalition for Networked Information."

Jane Ryland, CAUSE President, offered similar remarks, "I've had the
pleasure of knowing and working with Clifford for years, well before we
conceived of the concept of CNI. I'm truly delighted that we'll now have
even more of his prodigious talents and energies working to help create a
networked information environment for the 21st century."

Lynch has been at the University of California since 1979 where he
oversees university-wide library automation and internetworking activities.
M. Stuart Lynn, Associate Vice President of Information Resources and
Communications at the University of California commented regarding the
announcement: "Whereas I and his many colleagues and friends at the
University are sorry to see him leave after so many years of extraordinary
service, we are delighted for him and for CNI as he takes on this new
challenge in an important national policy position. UC - as a founding
member of CNI - and I personally as a member of the CNI Steering
Committee - are pleased that CNI will be moving forward under Cliff's
inspirational leadership."

Internationally known for his development of Melvyl, an information
system which serves all of the campuses of the University of California,
Lynch has played a key role in the development of information standards.
Especially noteworthy is his work on Z39.50, which addresses the need for
interoperability among information retrieval systems.

He has served on the Board of Directors of the National Information
Standards Organization (NISO) and currently is a member of NISO's
Standards Development Committee, and is also active within the Internet
Engineering Task Force. Lynch, who is the immediate past president of the
American Society for Information Science and a fellow of the American
Association for the Advancement of Science, has received several awards
recognizing his contributions, including the American Library Association's
LITA/Gaylord award, an ASIS Dissertation Award, and the American Society
for Engineering Education's Homer Bernhardt Award.

A prolific author, Lynch recently wrote an article that appears in the
March 1997 issue of Scientific American. He has been involved in a wide
range of national initiatives in areas ranging from preservation of electronic
information to research programs for digital libraries. He has also taught at
the School of Information Management and Systems at the University of
California, Berkeley for a number of years, and played an active role in the
committee that defined the program for the new school.

Lynch holds a Bachelors of Arts in Mathematics and Computer Science
from Columbia College; a Master of Sciences in Computer Science from the
Columbia University School of Engineering; and a Ph.D. in Computer Science
from the University of California at Berkeley.

Regarding his appointment as CNI's Executive Director, Lynch said
"It's a great honor to be able to build on the work that my friend and
colleague Paul Peters has done on behalf of our whole community, and to be
able to lead CNI into the 21st century. My belief is that CNI is the most
important program that we have to chart the course for the development and
exploitation of the possibilities of networked information to serve
scholarship. As a community, we face enormous but often confusing
opportunities that can be addressed only by working together on a national
and international basis, and I will work to ensure that CNI continues to be
a powerful vehicle for sorting through the confusion, fostering dialog, and
engaging the opportunities before us."

* * *