11.0010 Virtual Macbeth

Thu, 8 May 1997 21:36:14 +0100 (BST)

Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 14:16:09 -0600
From: "James W. Johnston" <johnston@wordcruncher.com>
Subject: Re:The Virtual Macbeth

++++++++++++++++++
The Virtual Macbeth
++++++++++++++++++

If this activity is of interest to you or your colleagues, please visit
http://www.wordcruncher.com for additional information:

WordCruncher Publishing Technologies and Mike LoMonico, a nationally
renowned expert in using electronic tools to teach Shakespeare, are teaming
up to provide students from throughout the United States with a unique
opportunity. By using an electronic version of Macbeth in combination with
WordCruncher, our proprietary text retrieval and analysis program, we help
students craft discovery strategies of their own design, and enable them to
explore
Shakespeare's language in ways that are simply impossible without the
computer. The techniques we use were pioneered and tested at The Folger
Shakespeare Library, and we are confident that both teachers and students
will find this approach to be an enjoyable, thought provoking activity that
lends a new dimension to education and learning.

The course takes place between May 12th and May 26th, and entails several
exercises:=20

Lesson 1, Part 1 - Thou Marvel'st at My Words: Helps students understand
what archaic words mean and how they are used.=20

Lesson 1, Part 2 - Thou Marvel'st at My Words (con't): Helps students
understand that modern words have archaic meanings.

Lesson 2 - The Like to You - Helps students understand how Shakespeare used
simile.

Lesson 3 - Look to the Lady ^=D6 Helps students understand how Shakespeare
approached the ideas of women, wives, and motherhood in Macbeth.

Lesson 4 - 'Tis Time, 'Tis Time ^=D6 Teaches students about the concept of
"time" in Macbeth.

If you, your class or a few of your students would like to participate in
or audit the Virtual Macbeth, please send us an e-mail message to
johnston@wordcruncher.com and we will forward=20
instructions on how to prepare, what kind of computer you will need, and so
on.=20

Details on the first assignment will be posted on Monday, May 12th at 7:00
am, eastern standard time (US). We will have a chat forum up all the time,
so that students from across the country (and even the world) will be able
to participate. We will be posting additional information as this week (May
5-9) proceeds, so please check back often.=20

There is no charge for participation in this course.

James W. Johnston
WordCruncher Publishing Technologies, Inc.
johnston@wordcruncher.com
http://www.wordcruncher.com

P.S. Please cross post as deemed appropriate.