10.0884 junk mail? COCOA samples?

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 21:12:17 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Geoffrey Rockwell <grockwel@mcmaster.ca> (12)
Subject: Junk Mail

[2] From: "Gregory J. Murphy" <rejek@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> (19)
Subject: COCOA samples wanted

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 10:27:23 -0500
From: Geoffrey Rockwell <grockwel@mcmaster.ca>

Dear humanists,

I have been recieving an alarming amount of junk mail recently including
unsollicited subscriptions to e-mail newsletters that are really hardware
ads. Over the year it has gone from one such message a month to one every
other day. One note offered even to sell me millions of e-mail addresses
and the technology to use the list! I assume that, as it becomes easier to
buy such lists and spam the net, the problem will only get worse. Am I the
only one thus affected? What are you doing about it? Is it time to have a
"private" e-mail address or to learn how to use the filters in Eudora?

Yours,

Geoffrey Rockwell