10.0834 times & standards

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 22:06:55 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: HOKE ROBINSON <HROBINSN@MSUVX1.MEMPHIS.EDU> (13)
Subject: Re: 10.0828 times & standards

[2] From: Wendell Piez <piez@rci.rutgers.edu> (53)

--[1]----------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 16:08:43 -0600 (CST)
From: HOKE ROBINSON <HROBINSN@MSUVX1.MEMPHIS.EDU>

Cheers for Mark Gardner; he's exactly right about short attention spans, TV,
group work etc. as dumbing down the secondary school curriculum, at least in
the U.S. (I'm a college teacher, but my wife teaches in what's still Jr High,
but may shortly be dumbed down to Middle School. The result of this will be
that students will be even less prepared for High School, which will have to be
dumbed down accordingly, and then for college, which is rapidly being dumbed
down, as I can attest.)

What he left out are the projects designed to give the appearance of reform,
while really just intended to disguise the decline by falsifying the evidence
(and meanwhile making some money). The local example is something called ATLAS
(though I expect the classical reference is lost on its supporters, who think
it is a notion invented by Rand-McNally).... I could go on, but better stop
before I get apocalyptic (according to ATLAS, a dance craze...).

Hoke Robinson, Memphis (hrobinsn@msuvx1.memphis.edu)