10.0829 scanning; labs

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 22:02:09 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Ari Kambouris <aristotl@interport.net> (36)
Subject: Re: 10.0825 scanning Greek? labs/classrooms?

[2] From: Mavis Cournane <cournane@curia.ucc.ie> (4)
Subject: Re: 10.0825 scanning Greek?

[3] From: Leslie Burkholder <lburkhdl@unixg.ubc.ca> (19)
Subject: labs/classrooms?

[4] From: Sarah Porter <sarah.porter@computing- (7)
services.oxford.ac.uk>

--[1]----------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 15:27:17
From: Ari Kambouris <aristotl@interport.net>

Hello all,

I won't venture to comment on the OCR for Greek, although I would be very
interested in the replies. As for the scanning of rare/fragile materials,
I would suggest a CCD camera with an extrememly high resolution screen or,
budget permitting, a digital back for up to a 4 X 5 view camera. This
allows you to set the document on an easel and digitally photograph it. In
the case of a bound book, you can arrange it so that the the book opens at
a 90 degree angle, and the camera is situated above the page that is to be
photographed, as if you were using a book on a copy stand. There are
several new camera backs which permit the use of flourescent lights (which
can be sheathed in UV protectors) and the exposure times are under ten
minutes per scan. The CCD cameras are just like video cameras and you
basically use a frame grabber to capture one frame of the video. The
resolution will not be nearly as good as the digital camera backs, and you
may not have as many lighting choices (which is critical for the
preservation of the original object).

There are two other new systems which I have only heard about and which
someone else on the list may know more about. In England, the Vasari Group
developed a new kind of camera that was used for exactly this purpose.
Last year at the Electronics and Visual Arts conference, a Dutch (I
believe) publisher brought out a book of 17th or 18th century paintings
which had been photographed using the Vasari technology. The other
development is one which is currently being tested or developed for
documenting text archives. A paper on this was presented at George
Bornstein's conference on the iconic page late last year, but the name of
the person who was doing it escapes me. Perhaps there is a summary in the
Humanist Archives.

Finally, I recently visited the NYC Center for Advanced Technology. Among
the many interesting projects which they are working on, there is a new
program called PAD++. Basically, it allows you to set up folders and then
zoom in on each folder until you bring up the document. It seems like it
would have interesting application for archiving documents and moving
through hierarchies. You might be interested in taking a look at their web
site at <http://www.cat.nyu.edu/projects/>.

Good luck,

Ari Kambouris
aristotl@interportl.net