10.0825 scanning Greek? labs/classrooms?

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 21:56:22 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> (52)
Subject: Paedeia project

[2] From: Joel Elliott <elliott@email.unc.edu> (35)
Subject: Q: tech. & teaching labs/classrooms

--[1]----------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 17:09:27 +0100
From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk>

The following query, which came to me privately, gives us the opportunity to
review progress, if any, in OCR software and scanning techniques. As far as
I know the answer to the first question, what to use to OCR Greek, is
trainable software such as OmniPage Pro, equating alpha to a, with an acute
accent to a/ and also with a smooth breathing to a/), beta to b, and so
forth. I'm less sure about an answer to the second question, how physically
to handle fragile materials.

Please send your observations and comments both to Humanist and to Costas
Korsnick.

WM

>Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 17:05:58 GMT
>From: spectre@palmyra.dartmouth.edu (Pat Korsnick)
>To: willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk
>>
>Hello Dr. McCarty,
>
>My name is Costas Korsnick and I'm an undergraduate student working with
>Professor Fillia Makedon on a project in conjunction with the Foundation for
>the Hellenic World. As you probably know, we are setting up a website to
>illustrate "paedeia" or education in ancient Greece. So far it is going very
>well, but we had a few questions that we thought you might be able to help us
>with.
>
>First of all, a major area of our site will be an interface that will allow the
>user to compare different translations of ancient texts (the Iliad for example)
>to the original and to other translations. In order to expedite the setting up
>of this area, we are searching for "optical character recognition" (OCR)
>software that can `read` Greek. So far we have not been able to find a program
>that would make this task possible. But perhaps you could propose this
>question to your discussion group and see if any leads turn up?
>
>Also, we encountered a problem when trying to scan content from rare books.
>Because they are so brittle, scanning rare books on traditional equipment is
>not possible. Could you also ask if anyone knows of any products that permit
>rare books to be scanned without damaging them?
>
>We would greatly appreciate any help or advice that you can give. Thank you.
>

>Sincerely,
>
>Costas Korsnick
>
>--
>costas

Dr. Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer, King's College London
voice: +44 (0)171 873 2784 fax: +44 (0)171 873 5801
e-mail: Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/kis/schools/hums/ruhc/wlm/