10.0821 heraldry

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 23:48:45 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Francois Crompton-Roberts <F.Crompton- (13)
Roberts@qmw.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: 10.0814 anyone for heraldry?

> Does any Humanist reader know of any work already done on the transcription,
> definition, or dare I say it, encoding of heraldic descriptions? You know,
> "gules, a willard couchant, with three barred wombats sinister" kind of thing.
>
> I'm interested because we're having to deal with this kind of stuff within the
> Bodleian ms description project and, frankly, need all the help we can get.

I remember about 15 years ago Dr Ian Graham of the University of
London's Institute of Archaeology was compiling a book of all known
coat-of-arms before 1400 with the help of a computer database. Since
then, he left England for Australia. I don't know what happened to
the project nor whether he is still contactable...

Francois C-R