10.0795 bi-formed publication

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 08:04:52 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> (231)
Subject: BMR 97.3.22, Martin, Ancient Greece

Following is a review from the most excellent online series of <cite>Bryn
Mawr Classical Reviews</cite>. I send it along because the book presents
itself as complementary to an electronic publication, and the reviewer
specifically addresses the question of the relationship between the two forms.

Any other examples of complementary publication in print and electronic form
would be most welcome to us all, I'm sure.

WM

>Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 21:49:43 -0500
>From: owner-bmr-l@brynmawr.edu
>Apparently-To: bmr-l-outgoing@amelia.brynmawr.edu
>
>Martin, Thomas R., <i>Ancient Greece From Prehistoric to Hellenistic
>Times</i>. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1996. Pp. xiii & 252. B & w
>illus. 45. Maps 8. Plans and Tables 4. Timelines 10. ISBN
>0-300-06956-1.
> Reviewed by Martha C. Taylor, Classics and History
> Taylor@Loyola.edu
> Loyola College in Maryland
> Baltimore, MD 21210
>
>Perhaps the most striking passage in this book comes in the introduction
>where Thomas R. Martin (hereafter M.) defends the relevance of books on
>the grounds that "the convenience and portability that books allow make
>them indispensable tools for learning and thinking." M. goes on to note
>that he "see[s] an ongoing need for both books and software in the study
>of ancient Greece" (p. ix). These statements presumably stand as retort
>to those who would argue that software has already or will soon supplant
>books as "tools for learning and thinking." M. is led to address this
>question because the text of his book is actually an expansion of a text
>available electronically his own "Historical Overview" which comprises one
>of the electronic databases published in <i>Perseus: Interactive Sources
>and Studies on Ancient Greece</i>, Gregory Crane, editor in chief,
>versions 1.0 and 2.0 (Yale University Press, 1992 and 1996 respectively)
>and now accessible to all on-line at
>http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/Secondary/TRM_Overview/. M. expects his
>hard-copy text to be able to stand alone, but also sees it as a
>"complement" to the computerized materials and hopes that it will
>contribute to the "synergy that [books and software] can create when used
>together" (p. ix). This review must, then, address two questions: first,
>how well does the book stand alone, and second, how much does it
>complement the on-line version? Ultimately, it succeeds fully at neither
>of these aims.
>
>The book includes a short introduction and ten chapters: Backgrounds of
>Ancient Greek History; From Indo-Europeans to Mycenaeans; The Dark Age;
>The Archaic Age; Oligarchy, Tyranny, and Democracy; From Persian Wars to
>Athenian Empire; Culture and Society in Classical Athens; The
>Peloponnesian War and Its Aftermath at Athens; From the Peloponnesian War
>to Alexander the Great; The Hellenistic Age. Each of the chapters begins
>with a very brief summary of its content, and each is divided into short
>(sometimes no more than a page or two) sections marked out by useful
>sub-headings. The book is designed as a brief overview for the general
>reader with probably no prior knowledge of Greek or other ancient history.

....[much omitted]

>These are relatively minor criticisms of emphasis, however. The one major
>flaw that ultimately harms the book's usefulness and, in my eyes, makes it
>fail fully to stand on its own is the poor quality of its maps and
>illustrations.
>
>The nine maps (one listed as plan 1) are, quite simply, too small for
>their purpose because most include almost the entire Mediterranean. This
>presumably stems from M.'s desire to understand Greek history "in the
>broader context of Europe and the Mediterranean region" (p. x), which is,
>again, an admirable goal, but leads to maps that are very hard to read.
>Map 1, for example, which is to serve for the Neolithic, Minoan, and
>Mycenaean Periods, covers in seven by four and a half inches the
>Mediterranean region East-West from northern Italy and the area of
>present-day Tunis to an inch inland from Byblos. The only cities actually
>plotted on the map outside of mainland Greece, however, are Troy,
>Hattusas, Catal Huyuk, Ugarit and Byblos, all of which find only brief
>mention in the text. Thus the locations of most interest Macedonia,
>Thessaly, Boeotia, Elis, Sesklo, Dimini, Lefkandi, Gla, Athens, Mycenae,
>Lerna, Pylos, Tiryns, Athens and the Francthi cave are all crammed into an
>area approximately an inch and a half square. The attendant jumble must
>be very confusing for a reader not already familiar with these sites and
>aware of their relation to each other. A full page map devoted to
>mainland Greece was in order. Most of the other maps suffer from the same
>flaw.
>
>Even more disappointing than the maps, however, despite the book jacket's
>claim that the text is "generously illustrated," are the black and white
>photographs. First, the quality of many of them is extremely poor.

....[omitted]

>Some of these choices are explained, I think, by the origin of the
>illustrations. All views of sites, buildings, and statues come from the
>author himself or the Perseus project and all but two views of vases come
>from the Yale University Art Gallery (the other two come from the
>Worcester Art Museum). I can only assume that it was cheaper to use the
>author's photos than to arrange permissions for more conventional
>professionally-shot views, and that an arrangement was worked out between
>Yale University Press and the Yale University Art Gallery that made using
>images of its pots cheaper than more usual choices. The reader, however,
>has not been well-served, and most of M.'s discussion of art and
>architecture is rendered much less useful by his failure to illustrate it
>adequately.

....[omitted]

> [...]
>prehistory, the Bronze age and the Hellenistic world are a very useful
>addition to the on-line text, and so complement it, but if the Perseus
>Project were simply to add these to Perseus' historical overview, the
>usefulness of the book to an audience comfortable with on-line texts would
>virtually disappear. Thus the book can not fairly be called a complement
>to the on-line historical overview, except for the 59 new pages on
>prehistory, the Bronze age, and the Hellenistic age.
>
>Those who want the portability of a printed text, or who prefer to read
>large swathes of text on the page rather than on the screen would prefer
>M.'s printed text to the on-line version even if the on-line version
>included the three chapters now available only in this book. Because of
>the limitations in the text's maps and illustrations, however, the book
>should be used only with Perseus as a complement for Perseus provides easy
>links to relevant maps, images, and encyclopedia entries. In many cases,
>therefore, Perseus gives more information than M.'s new text. In the
>discussion of Pausanias' arrogance with women referred to above, for
>example, M.'s text gives no reference to the sources about Pausanias (p.
>105). One must go to Perseus section 9.1.1 to find references and even
>links to the sources: Hdt. 5.32 [Text]; Thuc. 1.94-95 [Text]; Thuc.1.130
>[Text]; Plut. Cim. 6 [Text]. The "synergy" that M. hopes for between his
>printed and on-line texts is made more difficult, however, by the failure
>of the printed text to make any reference to the various links available
>on Perseus. The reader of the printed text must on his own find the
>relevant section of the on-line overview to access the various links
>available. Often the relevant section is obvious, but in some cases this
>will not be the case, and the reader of the printed text may search for
>some time before finding the appropriate section. For the reader
>determined to use the additional information available on the Perseus I
>think that the result will be that the printed text is soon abandoned.
>
>This book, then, does not fully stand on its own because of its poor maps
>and illustrations and its lack of references. Furthermore, its generally
>minor revision and expansion (apart from the three new chapters on
>prehistory, the Bronze age, and the Hellenistic age) does not really
>complement Perseus, which in many cases provides more information than the
>print version. Nevertheless, those desirous of a well-written, readable,
>clear and comprehensive overview of Greek history in specifically printed
>form will find M.'s book a useful addition to present printed surveys.
>
>NOTES:
>
>(1)On this concept see S. Georgoudi, "Creating a myth of Matriarchy," in
><i>A History of Women</i>, P. Schmitt Pantel, ed. (Cambridge 1992).
>
>(2) Mary R. Lefkowitz and Maureen B. Fant, edd., <i>Women's Life in Greece

Dr. Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer, King's College London
voice: +44 (0)171 873 2784 fax: +44 (0)171 873 5801
e-mail: Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/kis/schools/hums/ruhc/wlm/