10.0775 imaging

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 02:05:35 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: Nico Weenink <noki@worldonline.nl> (33)
Subject: RE: 10.0758 imaging hardware and software?

Dear collegues,

CorelDraw 50 (or later) or Adobe PhotoShop as the best software.

I myself use AutoCAD 13 together with 3DStudio for more advanced technical
applications and it gives very good results, but for humanists these
programs seems a bit to much. Maybe AutoCAD 12 LT (the 'cut'-version) will
do, but that still is more used by constructors and those who make advanced
technical drawings. I suppose CorelDraw 5.0 or Adobe PhotoShop will give
you quick and good results.
Another program which may be of good help: Micrografx Windows Draw 4.0. I
used it for some time, but it gives some problems when scanning pictures. I
haven't had any problems with my scanner when using AutoCAD, PhotoShop or
CorelDraw.

Hardware:
The Hewlett Packard HP 4P/C gives good results for both scanning pictures
and texts. And at a fair price. And don't forget upgrading the system! The
HP works fine with 16 MB RAM memory, but I advice you to use minimum of 32
MB RAM (WIN95).

Newsgroups:
For Adobe, AutoCAD and 3DStudio there are several newsgroups available on
the web.
Check for instance: alt.aldus (for Aldus Freehand), alt.3d (3DStudio).

Hope this is of some help.

Best regards,

Nico.

Nico Weenink