10.0751 Apple: software? review

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 09:53:45 +0000 (GMT)

# Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 10, No. 751.

[1] From: "Kristen L. Abbey" <kabbey@rci.rutgers.edu> (21)
Subject: Apple

[2] From: Prosper02@aol.com (4)
Subject: Re: 10.0742 demise of Apple?

--[1]----------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 10:29:21 -0500 (EST)
From: "Kristen L. Abbey" <kabbey@rci.rutgers.edu>

Rather than the fall of Apple the company, the rumor mill in my neck of
the woods voices concern about future support for existing software.

The question I've heard raised goes more along this line: Will the
specialized software that academic departments and others have developed
for themselves on the Mac platform over the years, with great labor, be
able to make the move to this new OS, based on the NEXT machines' UNIX
core? If Apple fails to consider this kind of compatability issue, some
of its most loyal users will find themselves trapped using slow, out of
date machines to continue using software they can neither replace nor
upgrade.

Apple's record in this respect, I understand, leaves a lot to be desired.

kabbey@rci.rutgers.edu The critics are talking about this post:
Kristen L. Abbey
PhD Student "I laughed, I cried, it was better than Cats"
Dpt of Comp Lit --Times Book Review
Rutgers University
New Jersey, USA "...reaching a higher plane of communication..."
--TWA in flight magazine