10.0743 Apple

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Fri, 28 Feb 1997 05:52:34 +0000 (GMT)

Subject: Apple

Subject: demise of Apple?

Subject: Re: demise of Apple?

Subject: Re: 10.0742 demise of Apple?

[10] From: Mike Ledgerwood <MLedgerwood@ccmail.sunysb.edu> (27)

[1] From: Dennis Cintra Leite <Dennis@eaesp.fgvsp.br> (27)

--[1]----------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 10:08:20 +0000
From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk>

For a report on the current state of Apple, from a source not (as far as I
know) committed to this flavour of machine, see Jack Schofield, "Bruised
Apple pares managers", in the Computing section of Online, The Guardian,
26/2/97, <http://online.guardian.co.uk/>.

It is interesting, is it not, how close we seem to be at times to the
argument that one shouldn't say something because it helps bring about the
situation it falsely reports, or because it plays into the hands of the
enemy? The extreme examples occur in times of war, when censorship
becomes strategically necessary, or so I am told. Problems like this, it
seems to me, ironically humanise computer-mediated communications.

WM

Dr. Willard McCarty
Senior Lecturer, Centre for Computing in the Humanities
King's College London
Strand
London WC2R 2LS
+44 (0)171 873 2784 voice; 873 5081 fax