10.0615 report from Academe; new Roman stuff

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 20:29:46 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: "Galen K. Pletcher" <pletchgk@potsdam.edu> (58)
Subject: 1/21/97 Daily Report from ACADEME TODAY

[2] From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> (23)
Subject: Forum Romanum

--[1]----------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 22 Jan 1997 13:13:59 -0000
From: "Galen K. Pletcher" <pletchgk@potsdam.edu>

[Editorial note. Galen Pletcher sent this to me with a query about the
legality of circulating it. I would be grateful for advice on the extent
to which direct quotation like the following is tolerated. It seems to me
to be an instance of "fair use". If anyone from the Chronicle is
listening, his or her word would be especially welcome. --WM]

>Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 15:55:17 -0500
>From: today@chronicle.com
>To: Multiple recipients of list <daily@chronicle.com>
>
>Academe Today's DAILY REPORT
>for subscribers of The Chronicle of Higher Education
>
>MAGAZINES & JOURNALS
>
>A glance at the January issue of "The New Criterion":
>Research and learning in the digital age
>
>The New York Public Library's new branch for science, industry,
>and business contains more than one million books. But it is the
>new library's 60 computer workstations and its electronic data
>bases that have been attracting raves from politicians and
>patrons. In an article entitled "New York's Library in
>Cyberspace," the writer Francis Morrone explores the role of
>libraries in a digital society. Mr. Morrone professes to love
>computers. But as tools of scholarship, he contends, they have
>serious shortcomings. For one thing, he notes, most information
>is not available in digital form; that which is could be marred
>by typographic errors or imperfect optical-scanning software.
>Most important, he writes, ink on paper remains far superior to
>the computer screen for the kind of sustained study that
>scholarship demands. What the new library demonstrates, he
>writes, "is that the 'knowledge society' of the twenty-first
>century may be about all sorts of wondrous things. One thing it
>is not about is the sustained and consecutive reading of texts.
>Put another way, one thing it is not about is research and
>learning." (The journal is available from the Foundation for
>Cultural Review Inc., 850 Seventh Ave., New York, N.Y. 10019;
>[212] 247-6980.)
>Copyright (c) 1997 The Chronicle of Higher Education, Inc.

Galen K. Pletcher, Dean
School of Arts and Sciences "Prayer is the contemplation
Professor of Philosophy of the facts of life
SUNY Potsdam from the highest
44 Pierrepont Avenue point of view."
Potsdam, NY 13676-2294
(315)267-2231 Emerson, "Self-Reliance" (1841)
FAX (315)267-3140
E-mail: pletchgk@potsdam.edu