10.0613 disciplined training

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 19:51:44 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: Francois Lachance <lachance@chass.utoronto.ca> (21)
Subject: discipline

[2] From: "Todd J. B. Blayone" <todd@cyberjunkie.com> (23)
Subject: Re: 10.0608 disciplined training

--[1]----------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 22:20:22 -0500 (EST)
From: Francois Lachance <lachance@chass.utoronto.ca>

Willard,

It was Matt's almost throwaway comment about PR...

Not to invoke the image of the scholar-entrepreneur but professors
do profess and do promote arefacts and approaches. These activities
represent a set of skills that have a place in the formation of any
graduant of a programme in humanities computing. These skills are not
always acquired by osmosis. It is for this reason I believe that a
programme in humanities computing might profitably open some space for
issues of pedagogy, ie. theorizing about the teaching of skills
related to either or both computing and humanities scholarship.

I say this with an eye on the job market. New postings outside the
academy are asking for skill sets that marry design (desktop
publishing and Web applications) and programming (running networks,
servers, writing CGI scripts etc.) Very soon a third component will be
added to these: the ability to teach others and even the experience of
teaching teachers.

Leadership & management skills development such as grant writing,
project appraisal, report writing, interpersonal savoir-faire could
be components integrated across the curriculum or they might be
reflected in entrance requirements. They would benefit disciples.

--
Francois

--[2]---------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 14:38:05 -0500 From: "Todd J. B. Blayone" <todd@cyberjunkie.com> Subject: Re: 10.0608 disciplined training

> So, I would argue, an MA programme is a very good idea, I would think for > a significant proportion of the student population. Not for all of them. > To some extent, I'd suppose, computing has or will become a universal > feature of scholarly work, but I cannot see that every kind of research > will ever demand a consciously deep involvement.

IMHO, the time is coming (for some, is here) when every kind of research will assume an *un*consciously deep involvement with electronic media. Moreover, the conscious struggle of the computing humanist to incorporate computers into humanistic research will give way to the "post-humanist's" struggle to incorporate traditional humanistic research into computer-mediated culture.

BTW, Donald Theall has something to say about this in chapter 6 of _Beyond the word_ (University of Toronto Press, 1995).

Best,

Todd

Todd J. B. Blayone / webRhetor todd@cyberjunkie.com / webrhetor@bitsmart.com http://www.netforward.com/bitsmart/?webrhetor 757 Victoria Park Ave. #1609 - Toronto, ON - Canada - M4C 5N8