10.0600 disciplined training

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 20:36:04 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: mgk3k@faraday.clas.virginia.edu (15)
Subject: Re: 10.0594 disciplined training

[2] From: Richard Giordano <Richard_Giordano@Brown.edu> (77)
Subject: Disciplined training

[3] From: "R.G. Siemens" <siemens@unixg.ubc.ca> (64)
Subject: Re: 10.0594 disciplined training // computing
humanists

[4] From: "Todd J. B. Blayone" <todd@cyberjunkie.com> (59)

--[1]----------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 20:57:51 -0500
From: mgk3k@faraday.clas.virginia.edu

>He promises a "curriculum for second semester" with, I assume, tongue firmly
>in cheek.

Yes, tongue was in cheek, though I kicked myself moments after sending the
post for not adding "public relations" as a final item. The list comes out
of my own experiences at Virginia, where there is no official humanities
computing program (other than the American Studies M.A. Alan Howard
described) but where I've the good fortune to be surrounded by colleagues
with whom I can discuss both the minutiae of TEI and the metaphysics of
cyberspace. That combination of theory and practice (to vulgarize the terms
of what's at issue) is, I believe, vital to any humanities computing
program, whatever the actual structure of its coursework might be.

--Matt

Matthew G. Kirschenbaum University of Virginia
mgk3k@virginia.edu Department of English
http://faraday.clas.virginia.edu/~mgk3k/ Electronic Text Center