10.0592 disciplined training

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Tue, 14 Jan 1997 22:25:08 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: mgk3k@faraday.clas.virginia.edu (29)
Subject: Re: 10.0565 disciplined training & wild-siding

Willard remarks:

>One question
>uppermost in my mind these days is how one might define the next generation
>of computing humanists, whom we very much need to train, by setting forth
>the curriculum for a graduate programme and fitting it into the already
>tightly-populated space occupied by older disciplines. What do we want our
>successors to have under their belts, subject areas we have acquired by
>accident and now know the utility of, or those we failed to pick up and
>regret that we did not?

Text-encoding; digital image preparation and manipulation; fundamentals of
library science and information retrieval; theory and practice of textual
editing, both electronic and print; principles of graphic design; interface
theory and design; electronic poetry and fiction; cyberpunk and edge
culture; digital music, the digital arts; introduction to
critical/theoretical debates on such matters as cyberspace/virtual
reality/multimedia/hypertext/on-line communities; the history of writing;
history of the book; history of media forms; history of computing,
artificial intelligence, and telecommunications networks; chaos theory and
fuzzy logic; practical introduction to Javascript, Java, VRML, Shockwave,
and other networked multimedia standards; electronic publishing, in both
commercial and academic settings; systems administration and exposure to a
programming/scripting language; fundamentals of linguistics and symbolic
logic; project management skills; intellectual property and copyright
issues; computer-assisted pedagogies.

Curriculum for the second semester to follow.

--Matt

Matthew G. Kirschenbaum University of Virginia
mgk3k@virginia.edu Department of English
http://faraday.clas.virginia.edu/~mgk3k/ Electronic Text Center