10.0575 chronic pain & wit about it

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Thu, 9 Jan 1997 13:41:58 +0000 (GMT)

[The puzzle with my Win 95 problem continues. Thanks to more people who
have sent me their thoughts. I include below some of these. Although their
suggestions are not sufficient, the scattered wit and wisdom about Windows
95 and related matters may seem to you worth the read. --WM]

[1] From: David Hoover <hoover@is.nyu.edu> (44)
Subject: Re: 10.0568 chronic Win95 pain

[2] From: "Michael P. Orth (Michael Orth)" (6)
<morth@cymbal.aix.calpoly.edu>

[3] From: "Paul R. Falzer" <prf@callnet.com> (40)

[4] From: Neil Randall <nrandall@watarts.uwaterloo.ca> (22)

[5] From: David Hoover <hoover@is.nyu.edu> (44)

--[1]----------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 12:10:15 -0500 (EST)
From: David Hoover <hoover@is.nyu.edu>

I believe that your supposition about the movement of Win95 being the
source of difficulty is correct. I made the same sort of mistake trying to
upgrade from a 1gig to a 1.6gig hard disk. I foolishly thought that I
could just install both disks in my computer, copy the smaller one to the
bigger one, change which one was the slave and be finished. But I got the
same sorts of nasty surprises as you did.

What seems to happen if one copies Win95 from one hard disk to another is
that it removes itself from the first disk at the same time, leaving
information on how to find various programs and documents behind.
Naturally, when I removed my old hard disk, the computer would not even
boot. Worse yet, it refused to recognize the CD-ROM drive, so it was not a
simple matter of reinstalling from the CD-ROM.

If I recall correctly, I eventually reworked CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT
so that I could access the CD-ROM and reinstalled Win95 on the old disk
and the new disk. The programs worked fine without reinstallation because
I had duplicated all of them on both systems.

Calls to Dell (which was to handle Win95 support) were unproductive. Their
advice was to reinstall. It does seem exceptionally perverse (even for
Microsoft, and that's saying something!) for there to be no way of adding
or replacing a hard disk without completely reinstalling and
reconfiguring.

Best of luck,
David L. Hoover, Assoc. Prof. of Engl. hoover@is.nyu.edu 212-998-8832
Webmaster, NYU English Dept. http://www.nyu.edu/gsas/dept/english/
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."--Groucho Marx