10.0534 thanksgiving

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Wed, 18 Dec 1996 19:01:59 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: Deian Hopkin <hopkin@lgu.ac.uk> (33)
Subject: Fawcett Library

[2] From: "Paul [not Brian] Brians" <brians@mail.wsu.edu> (26)
Subject: Houghton Mifflin campaign over

--[1]----------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 08:37:35 -0500 (EST)
From: Deian Hopkin <hopkin@lgu.ac.uk>

FAWCETT LIBRARY APPEAL

Just as an interim "thank you", I thought I ought to tell
you that the response to the message you put out on my
behalf on Humanist has elicited the most astonishing
response. I have received, to date, 126 messages from all
over the world, from Budapest to Adelaide, Oslo to Tokyo.
Many of the messages are fullsome, which all goes to prove
that everything we believed about the reputation and role
of the Fawcett in the international scholarly community is
borne out. It is immensely gratifying that so many people
have taken time to write. But even the simple lines of
support show that people really are supporting this
venture, and this helps us enormously.

Beyond this, the message has been passed on to other
bulletin boards and this is now cascading a new wave of
messages. So, coincidentally, we have demonstrated
something of the proselytising power of the internet. A
nice of piece of empirical evidence for the piece I am sure
one of us will write about new paradigms for scholarly
exchange ! A simple diagramatic representation of the
networks through which this particular message travelled
would be fascinating. Still, another time....

I propose to issue a bulletin from time to time,informing
our friends of progress on the venture. In the meantime,
may I thank you for your help

With very best wishes for Christmas

Deian

Deian Hopkin