10.523 citations in e-publications

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Fri, 13 Dec 1996 22:01:25 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: Francois Crompton-Roberts <F.Crompton- (31)
Roberts@qmw.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: 10.0516 e-publishing: aspects and artefacts

> Papers presented here should be cited in the following manner:
>
> de Queiroz, K. 1996. "A phylogenetic approach to biological
> nomenclature as an alternative to the Linnean systems in
> current use." In: J.L. Reveal, ed. Proceedings of a mini-
> symposium on biological nomenclature in the 21st century.
> University of Maryland: www.life.umd.edu/bees/96sym.html.

I wouldn't want to appear to quibble with trivial details in relation
with the great significance of the publication itself or of how it
demonstrates the growing acceptability of the medium for
scolarship, but three points occur to me concerning the URL.

1) The access method ("http:") ought to be mentionned.

2) Since the URL is not delimited, the trailing full-stop (period)
could be taken as belonging to it.

3) Because of this, the custom has grown of bracketting URLs with
"greater-than" and "less-than" pointed brackets. This is so well
established that my mail program identifies URLs in mail messages
and lets me double-click on them to open up the site with Netscape.
It isn't unique in allowing this, so do several others.

So, I suggest that the recommended form of citation read:

| de Queiroz, K. 1996. "A phylogenetic approach to biological
| nomenclature as an alternative to the Linnean systems in
| current use." In: J.L. Reveal, ed. Proceedings of a mini-
| symposium on biological nomenclature in the 21st century.
| University of Maryland: <http://www.life.umd.edu/bees/96sym.html>.

Francois Crompton-Roberts