10.0510 software for history

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 20:03:00 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: Pamela Cohen <pac@rci.rutgers.edu> (170)
Subject: CAAH Digest - 6 Dec 1996 to 7 Dec 1996

[Forwarded from the CONSORTIUM OF ART AND ARCHITECTURAL HISTORIANS
<CAAH@PUCC.BITNET>, Kelly Woestman <kwoestma@clandjop.com>,
originally from James B. Schick <jschick@mail.pittstate.edu>
_History Computer>Review_ (xpost H-Survey)]

>For the Spring 1997 issue of _History Computer Review_,
>I'd like to gather the advice of as many teachers of
>history as possible on two questions:
>
>1) What *software* still needs to be invented,
>developed, or made available, so you can do a more
>effective job of teaching college history?
>
>2) What *websites* need to be developed to help you
>as a teacher of history?
>
>Be as specific as you can be about what this software
>or website would do and how you think they should
>operate. If I get a sufficient number of good
>Spring issue.
>
>My hope is to stimulate the creative juices of any
>programmers looking for a new assignment or
>software gurus (are you reading this Bill Gates?)
>desiring to make a positive impact on higher
>education.
>
>Just to get the subject going, I'd like to offer a
>half-dozen of my own musings in each category.
>While I will focus on the first course in American history,
>you should understand that any history, any time is
>acceptable and that the target audience could be
>any level from undergraduate non-majors to graduate
>history students.
>
>Software:
>
>1) The papers of all the Founders in one source, in
>searchable form so that a teacher or student
>requesting responses to the Boston Tea Party could
>find out what all of them thought quickly and easily.
>This would be useful for research papers as well as
>classroom use.
>
>2) A world map (with subsets of regions, nations) which
>you could: a) animate by either tracing a route or
>entering reference points for a journey, as for an
>explorer's route of march; b) establish new lines of
>demarcation to show the shifting political boundaries
>through time; c) zoom to modern terrain maps and/or
>satellite photos showing ground features and
>superimpose either those routes or boundaries upon
>them.
>
>3) 3D renderings of James Fort, Martin's Hundred,
>Plimoth Plantation, Williamsburg, and other excavated
>sites or reconstructions of early American settlements,
>plus individual houses/buildings still remaining from
>those times, so that students could virtually "walk
>through" the past. I would also like to be able to call
>up various historic events which took place at those
>places: the Massacre of 1622, the peace conference
>with Massasoit, the meeting of the House of Burgesses
>when Patrick Henry proposed his seven resolutions
>regarding the Stamp Act, accusations in Salem,
>Massachusetts, and other such events.
>
>4) Collections of colonial/early national artifacts from
>the Smithsonian, Winterthur, Metropolitan Museum of
>Art, and regional/local historical museums, so I could
>"furnish" a typical Virginia planter's mansion, Puritan
>saltbox home, trapper's cabin, teepee, wigwam,
>Conestoga wagon, and other habitations. After I
>selected the location of these things (selecting from a
> [...]
Pamela Cohen
Center for Electronic Texts in the Humanities
169 College Avenue, New Brunswick NJ 08903
phone: (908) 932-1384 / fax: (908) 932-1386
http://www.ceth.rutgers.edu
pac@rci.rutgers.edu