10.0508 pomo rigour, MOOs, & other bright patches

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Mon, 9 Dec 1996 19:05:11 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: John Unsworth <jmu2m@virginia.edu> (31)
Subject: Re: 10.0504 dark side of humanities computing?

[2] From: Sharon Cogdill <SCOGDILL@TIGGER.STCLOUD.MSUS.EDU> (111)

--[1]----------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 22:37:17 -0500
From: John Unsworth <jmu2m@virginia.edu>

> [1] From: Attachment Research Center (78)
> <Postmast@attach.edu.ar>
> >

>Hello,
>
>I wonder why everybody is persistently trying to view the positive
>side of humanities computing, ignoring or depreciating the negative
>side effects such endeavour might entail.
>
>For instance, MOO technology which is used in some Universities to
>create virtual worlds where one is encouraged to let one's fantasy
>go unrestraintedly in full fledge has turned out to be an an adverse
>instrument for pupils' performances. Many youngsters neglect their
>lessons because they spend endless long hours at the Telnet site.

This criticism is, obviously, blissfully uninformed by experience with
educational uses of MOOs and MUDs. MOOs do have the capacity to enthrall
students, but that capacity can be used for good *or* ill, depending on
the imagination, creativity, and discipline of the instructor.

>I would say that the pomo movement repels anything that has to do
>with rigour.
>
>To their minds, "rigour" stands for "enemy of creativity".
>An astonishing contention.

I know of no one except the author of this post who opposes rigor and
creativity. Examples of rigor in postmodernism might burst into mind as
well, if the author of this post had read any.

Forgive the tone, but both of these criticisms are intellectually
irresponsible.

John Unsworth / Director, IATH / Dept. of English
http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu/~jmu2m/